The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-655

dir-655 allowing game traffic when it should not be doing so

<< < (2/4) > >>

buach:

--- Quote from: AWDL on July 23, 2007, 04:52:10 PM ---Outgoing, I have never had to open up ports for Steam. It could just be that the other games you mention do not require "special applications" or VS either for inbound "replies". Situation Normal.

--- End quote ---

sorry but this is not normal. far cry absolutely definitely requires ports to be opened. on previous routers, if i started far cry multiplayer without forwarding the ports, the computer would freeze as the game could not complete the task of connecting to its server for the server list.

if you check support at steampowered.com you will see that steam also requires tcp and udp ports to be opened. i have never tested whether it will work without these ports being opened on any of my previous routers though.

mb:
For what it's worth, my son used to use networked games that required Steam and I never had to open or forward any ports. I'm thinking that we were using a Westell 327 ADSL gateway router at the time with it's firewall configured as active.

TQuach:
Aren't ports that are required to be open used for servers and not clients?

Back in the day when making a Counter Strike server, you needed ports

TCP Ports
27030-27039 
UDP Ports
1200,27000-27015 

to serve...  am I correct?

mb:

--- Quote from: CupHolder on July 24, 2007, 08:51:48 AM ---Aren't ports that are required to be open used for servers and not clients?
...  am I correct?

--- End quote ---

Now that I think about it, I think that you are, I may have infact changed the basic configuration so he could host...

ddwinell:
Outbound connections should not be blocked. If an outbound connection is established then any data coming back in on the same port to the same private IP should be allowed. If unsolicited traffic tried to come in on a closed port the packet would get dropped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version