• April 24, 2024, 03:50:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Connection to router keeps dropping  (Read 6659 times)

Nnyan

• Level 1 Member
Connection to router keeps dropping
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:32:28 AM »

I've seen where others have issues with the wireless dropping but my problem is that on a regular basis my connection to the router drops.  If I restart the router it will fix the problem all the time.  If I restart the PC or do a reset of the NIC it will fix the problem most of the time.  I know this is on the router b/c if I connect directly to the cable modem I get out fine.

I'm not absolutely SURE about this (need to test more) but these drops seem to be related to using Bittorrent software to download (uTorrent, etc...).  What is the maximum number of connections that the DIR-655 can handle?

Vista Home Premium x64
DIR-655 V:A3 F:1.22 B5 (same thing on the 1.21 will revert back to 1.11 and test).
Comcast

Thank you

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
Re: Connection to router keeps dropping
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »

At least someone admits that the possibility could be with THEIR configuration.

Accourding to a chart on Dlink that came from Smallnetbuilder.net, the maxiumum simultaneous connections is 120.

http://www.dlink.com/products/DIR-655/snb-charts.asp

Nnyan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:27:42 AM »

Well I'm not here to bash anything or anyone (I do really like the dlink 655).  I should have noted that this is a relatively new issue (it would happen very rarely before when I was on the 1.11 firmware) but once I upgraded it became a much more consistant issue. 

Doing some research on the utorrent forums I've made the following changes to the utorrent config (in case this helps anyone else):

Global Maximum number of connections: 100
Max number of connected peers per torrent: 50
Number of upload slots per torrent: 1
Enable DHT Network: OFF
net.max_halfopen: 8

Too early to tell but I left this running over night downloading several test torrents and no disconnects.  I'll report back after a few days since it doesn't always happen every day.

By the way thanks for the info lotacus!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:29:21 AM by Nnyan »

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »

No problem. Just to let you know though, I left Utorrent at it's recommended defaults after setting up and it seemed to work fine.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »

Limit the uplink connections.
External: Since upload bandwidth is multiple times smaller compared to download bandwidth at the ISP you will choke the uplink (which will also kill download).

Internal: depending on other usage of the wireless bandwidth available (all wireless clients) a BT client may  need to be configured in WiSH or QoS to have a really low priority. Try that first.

DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

rcschaff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »

I have the same problem with wireless dropping out after a while, seems like the beta 1.22 helps some and also making the  IP static of the wireless notebook helps a lot still not perfect.  I hope this gets fixed as I cannot have this happen as I am using this as a router for a small business and can't afford to have people kicked of the network.

Just to let everyone know this did not happen till I upgraded to the DIR-655 router.  My linksys never kicked me off of wireless network.

Kanako

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 04:29:23 AM »

I have global connections at 500, then there is another 300 or so coming from DHT, halfopen at 40. Never had any slowdown problems with regards to the router, seems to handle it quite well. I also pushed my old DGL-4300 pretty hard, had it at 800 global connections, even though people kept saying keep connections around 200.

I had some issues with lan errors on the router though, causing a connection drop, but I got that fixed when I changed my cat5e cables to cat6.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:52:48 PM »

Keep in mind that obstacles (walls, ceilings, range) can hinder the wireless signal from creating a stable connection (as can other wireles devices: cheap DECT phone, wireless speakersystem etc)...so keep a broad view when assessing the issue.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

bluenote

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »

Utorrent is really well known for causing reboots and drops, (and even with perfect settings it uses some kind of funny method 'round robin' vs '50/50' that you can't disable that can cause problems).

However with 1.22b05 (latest beta) I'm able to use the latest utorrent in default settings just fine and get awesome throughput.

That beta helped with my restarts which is probably what you're seeing (my guess).

GL

Nnyan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »

Well the disconnects are much less common but they still do occur.  For whatever reasons the DHT is a real problem (turned on I get disconnected much more often).  I'm going to try other BT clients to see if I can find one that does not have this issue.