• April 26, 2024, 07:07:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Sound distortion on DCS-1130 when using wireless  (Read 9127 times)

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
Sound distortion on DCS-1130 when using wireless
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:07:05 AM »

Works fine when the camera is wired to the network.

When running wireless from camera to router there is audio distortion, crackling. Sounds like the wireless signal is interfering with the audio.

I spoke to D-Link support and tried their suggestions, no help. They suggested it may be the router, but I tried three different routers and tried different encryption and no encryption. They advised to return and replace.

I can RMA to the place I bought it, but if they can't confirm the same issue I'll be billed for shipping and restocking.  I want to check if anyone else has had this issue or is running wireless with no issues.

Tried the following setups:

Netgear WNDR3700, DD-WRT firmware, WPA2 encryption, Wireless N

Linksys WRT310N, DD-WRT firmware, WEP encryption, Wireless N, Confirmed WMM enabled

2WIRE3801 Router, Stock firmware, No encryption, Wireless G

Listen to the sound here: http://youtu.be/leu8pm08IEw

v1das

• Level 1 Member
Re: Sound distortion on DCS-1130 when using wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »

I have the same issue with DCS-930L and sound is just like in your recording. I already returned 1 camera and paid restocking fee, now my second camera behaves exactly the same. At the store they tested my camera with wired connection and there was no problem with audio. I have not tested audio myself at home with wired connection, but probably I'll try to do that too.

I am using Netgear Wireless N WNR3500L router with Tomato firmware.

Any help from D-Link support would be very much appreciated on this matter!

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »

Can you try it with a wired connection?  I'm going to head to my friends house and try it on his network to see if that makes any difference.

v1das

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »

Just cheked and I am getting sound problems with wired connection too. What in the house could afffect this?

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »

Save a small recording with from the camera and upload it as I did.  Post the link here.

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »

Same issue on entirely different network and computer.  Sound is fine when wired, noise when wireless.

I'm going to return this one and try another...

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

Removing one of the two antennas significantly reduces the noise.  The sound is still there however.

Removing both antennas has no increased effect vs. one antenna.

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

I got the replacement today.  This one is improved, however I can still hear the sound when it's running on wireless.

It's way better and it could be only that I notice it because I'm looking for it.

I will post a video later on.

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »

Here is the sound from the replacement.  Much better, but it's still there!

http://youtu.be/O_TkaNFB2dw

trscons

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »

Tarv, I listened to/watched the video, and have a couple of ideas.

The first is the DCS camera microphone is high gain and/or quite sensitive. I can hear a very slight electrical noise in the background when I look at my cameras (on a b/g router) if I crank up the volume on the computer. Frankly I just attributed what I hear to a hollow kind of sound in a large area. Whatever it is, it sounds somewhat the same as what I hear on your video. The noise could just be generated within the camera from a high-gain amplifier circuit with insufficient filtering or shielding. (If you remember super-regenerative receivers, they would break into oscillation if the gain was turned up.) You might run an experiment in muffling the microphone with, say, cotton and ensuring the room is totally quiet (I have not tried this).

The second idea is that you may have multiple devices on the same wireless network channel or range of frequencies. It could be almost anything else in your house or a neighbor's house (depending upon how close they are). Something continuously generating noise could be (a) cordless telephone(s) syncing with a base, a switching power supply in something instant-on (TV?), a computer monitor or power supply, a dimmer switch, a touch lamp, or electronic control circuitry such as I had a problem with in an older heat pump since replaced.

If you have a UPS or two, or a laptop, you might trying turning off the main breaker in the house. (We occasionally have power disruptions or outages and I use a UPS to keep the router, telephone and cameras running for up to three hours.) If the noise goes away, then you'll know its source is internal to your abode. Then you can investigate each circuit, one at a time, and narrow down the source.

The third idea is more of a question. I have cable TV, and I notice that when I carry an portable AM radio near any of the DVR/HD boxes, there is interference whether or not the cable boxes are turned on or off. On my VHF/UHF amateur radio transceivers, I find many spurious cable signals throughout the 144 and 440 MHz bands, and there are annoying harmonics through the 800 and 900 MHz police and utility frequencies. Reception improves immediately if I unplug the cable boxes from the electrical outlets. Theoretically one could get the FCC and or the state's board of public utilities to make the cable company clean up its network leakage, but in this budgetary and political environment that it less likely than me winning a national or state lottery.

Hope this helps.

Tom