• March 28, 2024, 12:41:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: No SSL-TLS for email - only STARTTLS  (Read 7171 times)

Watcher

• Level 2 Member
No SSL-TLS for email - only STARTTLS
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »

As 2670L inherits the firmware of 2332L, it also inherits one annoying feature - no SSL-TLS option on the email server setup. There is only the following checkbox option:
[ ] This server requires a secure connection (StartTLS)

YandexMail, which I am using as my primary email provider, does not support STARTTLS - only the explicit SSL-TLS on port 465. I've tried several other ports suggested in this article, that details the history behind SSL-TLS vs STARTTLS, to no avail:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/ssltlsstarttls.html

Why can't D-Link standardise their firmware bases?

So far I have 3 groups:
  • 2050L, 933L and its heir 960L - gives the radio box options to choose from "No", "SSL-TLS" and "STARTTLS"
  • 2630L - gives a drop-down box with the options of "No", "SSL-TLS" and "STARTTLS". One quirk that it has, is that 2360L does not allow '+' in the recipient email address, which all other models allow. I use this notation for recipient+camname@server.com where the "+camname" is used by the server to properly filter the messages.
  • 2332L and its heir 2670L - only the checkbox with STARTTLS.

For the last group one work-around is to set up a Gmail account, which supports the less explicit STARTTLS and then configure YandexMail to pull the messages from Google, using IMAP protocol. However, I'd really like to avoid the Google ecosystem due to lack of trust in them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:16:37 AM by Watcher »