• April 19, 2024, 09:30:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon failed! (Solved!)  (Read 5248 times)

sucram65

• Level 1 Member

I am running a chrooted Debian Squeeze installation on my DNS-320 and I followed this guide: http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubu … e-volume/.  Unfortunately, avahi fails with the error in the subject line. The odd thing is that there is already an avahi-daemon runnning.

root      1352  0.0  0.4   2612   548 ?        S    Mar09   0:18 avahi-daemon: running [dlink-53AD8C.local]

now, I can kill this process but when I try to launch the avahi-daemon that I installed and configured it still fails. There is nothing in my linuxrc file that is starting avahi from Debian that I can see so it seems to me that the Dlink OS is running this. The same for CIFS. netatalk is disabled in the Dlink NAS interface and I can start it in Debian. Is there, in fact, an instance of avahi running from the Dlink firmware? If I can get it to read the config file in squeeze that would be fine but I need to know if the NAS is actually running it. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found out that in order for Avahi to run the dbus daemon must first be running. I am now able to have AFP services advertised from within my Debian install. I simply kill the avahi process running in the Dlink firmware. Now, I just need a startup script to kill that avahi process and start dbus and avahi in Debian.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:19:59 PM by sucram65 »