• March 29, 2024, 03:01:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DIR-655 Rev B1 2.00 NA - fails Port Scan 0 and 1 (closed instead of stealth)  (Read 29735 times)

stevefoobar

• Level 1 Member

Actually it doesn't solve the problem.  This router will not allow ports 0 or 1 to be forwarded for some reason.  They still report as closed no matter what combination of settings I have tried.  This is why people are so angry and disappointed with the D-Link routers--several of them, not just the DIR-601 exhibit this behavior.  There is also no new firmware for the DIR-601 to correct this problem.
Steve V.
California, USA

taekwon3dan

• Level 2 Member

To summarize what has happened since my last post, D-Link support never got back to me.

Because it was within the return period (store), I got an RMA and returned it for full credit.

I got a different router from another manufacturer, and I am very happy with my decision.  I don't think I'll ever buy a D-Link again.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:49:24 AM by taekwon3dan »

stevefoobar

• Level 1 Member

This is the response I got back from D-Link technical support when complaining about not being able to stealth ports 0 and 1:

Steve,
I will pass your request to the PM for the product. Thank you for the feedback.

Not too encouraging considering people seem to be complaining about this issue on this and other routers for over 2 years!

I guess I'll never buy a D-Link product again either.  I'm going back to Linksys/Cisco.
Steve V.
California, USA

Cobra

• Level 4 Member

Well...

Port 0 is an invalid port and does not official exist

Port 1 is TCP Port Service Multiplexer

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

So, the put it more clearly: You are all complaining about ....nothing
Get a degree.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

stevefoobar

• Level 1 Member

So, the put it more clearly: You are all complaining about ....nothing
Get a degree.

Actually, you are quite incorrect.  Although I agree port 0 is officially not a supported port, it can be pinged as can port 1, regardless of port 1 being a multiplexer port.  That means that a hacker can potentially verify you have a router at a give IP address when it gets a "Closed" status back instead of no status (stealth).

You can argue that there is nothing a hacker can do with the ports closed but I prefer to not let hackers, whom are much, much more knowledgeable and determined than I am, to not even know my router exists.

It's a simple concept.  I don't understand why D-Link doesn't get it or just doesn't care.

Put another way, even if it is not a serious issue, from a pure business perspective, D-Link management are foolish to no implement this because of all the complaints over the past two years and the fact that their major competitors all implement this.  What more logic do you need?
Steve V.
California, USA

Cobra

• Level 4 Member

You can argue that there is nothing a hacker can do with the ports closed but I prefer to not let hackers, whom are much, much more knowledgeable and determined than I am, to not even know my router exists.

Everywhere you go on the web knows your router exists and knows your WAN IP address or you would not have a connection.

Hey, try testing sometime without the router just modem to PC and I bet you get stealth. Since you probably have the OS firewall on even with the router connected then maybe you will understand it is only the router responding not your computer as the computer is stealth. Your WAN IP stops at the router so it is virtually impossible to hack the computer as it has a different IP ---> LAN.

With the router on the network, open a command prompt and type ipconfig and you will see your computer has a different IP then if you go to http://whatismyip.com
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:25:32 PM by Cobra »

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member

Those all knowing hackers don't need port 0 or 1 to find you...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:00:50 PM by EddieZ »
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

a4ol

• Level 1 Member

This issue comes as a total shock to me!!
I am a network engineer and got this router for home use and I am horrified to find out that 2 ports are CLOSED. Free firewalls like AVG never have such problems so for a company like D-Link, this is shameful!
I have the router for 4 days now.

Is there a new firmware in the works?  A beta? Anything?

As long as a port says it exists may it be 0 or 1000 it does not matter, if a port is CLOSED or OPEN I will know it exists it's just a matter of time to hack in. The router should be "stealth" aka not respond to requests neither yes nor no. What is this some kind of backdoor compliance issue? I think I might report this to the FCC... How can this product pass the FCC???

bedub1

• Level 1 Member

Is there still no solution?

monkeylove

• Level 1 Member

The ports are now closed with the latest firmware.
Pages: 1 2 [3]