• March 28, 2024, 10:03:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-930L Motion Detection Lag or Delay Until Image Emalied  (Read 12454 times)

jvanfossen

• Level 1 Member
DCS-930L Motion Detection Lag or Delay Until Image Emalied
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:28:28 AM »

I am using my new DCS-930L to monitor motion at a door entrance.  It is firing off when motion happens but the image it emails is taken @ 12 seconds after the motion.  So the result is I know motion happened but the person who came to the door is long gone or through the door by the time the image snapshot is taken.  I get multiple emails containing images of the empty entrance.  Is this a software, hardware, firmware or user error issue?  :-)
Thanks
--Jim VF

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-930L Motion Detection Lag or Delay Until Image Emalied
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:36:35 AM »

Did you try adjusting the sensitivity to trigger the motion event a bit earlier?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

jvanfossen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:57:29 AM »

I have played with sensitivity to reduce or increase the triggering of events.  If the sensitivity is too high then it triggers because a falling leave has come into view or a passing shine of a headlight.  When I lower it and block out unwanted areas then only the motion of a person triggers - which is what I want.  I am not sure how sensitivity effects the lag. 

After receiving many emails with no one in the image, I tested the lag.  Here is how I tested.  I walked into the scene and started counting with my fingers.  When I got to 12 (I had to use toes :-) the image was captured and emailed.  How does sensitivity affect the delay in capturing an image?  Thanks
--Jim

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 07:03:13 AM »

Did you set the "Detection Area" to some region smaller than the whole field of view?

jvanfossen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:09:49 AM »

Yes, I set the detection area to approximately the bottom 1/3 of the image area to avoid clouds and leaves from triggering a motion.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »

As a test (and to rule out "detection area" as the problem), you might want to use the whole field of view and move the camera to another location (without the background noise) to see if there is a lag.

jvanfossen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »

OK, so it is not user error.  Check out this review of the same camera - search "lag" - about 1/2 way down the page.  Any chance the firmware update elves can look at this before Christmas? :-)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/multimedia-voip/multimedia-voip-reviews/31390-d-link-dcs-930l-d-link-wireless-n-network-camera-reviewed?start=1
--Jim

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 04:33:31 AM »

OK, so it is not user error.  Check out this review of the same camera - search "lag" - about 1/2 way down the page.  Any chance the firmware update elves can look at this before Christmas? :-)

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/multimedia-voip/multimedia-voip-reviews/31390-d-link-dcs-930l-d-link-wireless-n-network-camera-reviewed?start=1
--Jim

Thank you for pointing out that excellent DCS-930L review. That's among one of the more comprehensive ones I've read and will post the link as a sticky at the head of this board.

I haven't read of any user complaints regarding motion detection lag. Have you performed any firmware updates? If other users can verify that this is a current issue, I'll add this item to the firmware wishlist sticky at the head of the board.

Are there any other DCS-930L users (or DCS-932L users) who experience a motion detection lag? ???

qcskaeb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:55:07 AM »

Hi,

I experience the same problem when images are saved on my FTP, the file is after the actual motion, i.e. missing the motion cause. I'm using DSL-930L

Firmware Version   1.08 (2012-12-21)
Agent Version   2.0.16-b42

Is there a solution in sight or am I seeing a different problem?

I am saving 1024 pictures on FTP, and I'm very puzzled about the order of them. I can still not figure in which order they are saved, except that it is not right, there is no logic between file names and creation dates.

Thanks
Kai

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »

You can choose 1/2 hour, hour, or 24 hour folder, which will be named accordingly ...
We use these settings ...
< http://smg.photobucket.com/user/acellier/media/ftp%20settings/ftptimeschedulesc.jpg.html >
to get files like this ...
< http://smg.photobucket.com/user/acellier/media/ftp%20settings/imagesstoredwithyyyymmddhhmmssnnfilenames.jpg.html >
Note our camera is on Pacific time, but the server is on Eastern time ...

GaryNY

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »

I have several different D-Link cameras.  I have not seen this problem with the DCS-930L, but on another camera I've noticed if I change the event settings (like how many pictures should be sent per motion event, for example 1 or 6 per event), images can get stuck in memory until the next motion event, and the image I receive is not from the current event, but from the previous event.  When this happened, rebooting the camera always cleared up this problem.  I've made a habit of rebooting the camera after changing these settings to make sure this doesn't happen, and I don't see this anymore.

My DCS-930Ls actually seem to be quite good at capturing fast-moving action.  I have them facing out windows, and they've captured birds in flight, flying insects close to the camera, lightning lighting up the outdoors momentarily at night, etc.  Sometimes I also receive images of nothing obviously moving, this might be a missed fast-moving object, or might also be changes in lighting (viewing outdoors, this does happen due to sun, clouds, wind moving trees, etc.).  I do set these DCS-930L cameras to 6 images per event, 1 per second, because this seems to produce the best results (I prefer this because most motion events end up in one email, with all related pictures in the same email).  Otherwise, I can get too many emails sent too close together. 

If your images tend to be too late, this might also indicate the sensitivity is set too low or area not well chosen, and motion either isn't recognized at all, or only finally when the object is nearly gone from view.  You might try raising the sensitivity and checking if the detection area is set right.