• April 19, 2024, 10:39:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dynamic Domain Name Service [DDNS] errors started March 25  (Read 8993 times)

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
  • Windows and Linux user (Oil and Water Can Mix)
    • Portfolio Site
Dynamic Domain Name Service [DDNS] errors started March 25
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »

I use TZO DDNS service with the DIR -- 655.  Which began reporting errors in the log on March 25.  Specifically:

Code: [Select]
[INFO] Fri Mar 26 17:14:37 2010 WAN IP changed to 173.183.13.75, updating to dynamic DNS provider
[WARN] Fri Mar 26 17:09:47 2010 Error updating dynamic DNS entry: Connection to server failed. Will retry later.

The router retries the connection every five minutes with the same results.  It had been working fine since July 2009 in this regard.  

Before digging into this further on the hardware side changing settings etc. has anyone else experienced problems with their DDNS's settings in the last few days?

This is the same unit which had the Daylight Savings Time issues that spontaneously corrected themselves last week.

Thank you
Patrick

PS: My ISP is TELUS and the router's firmware is 1.33 NA currently.  Couldn't resist trying out the latest version again.  Hardware version is A4.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:00:59 PM by PatrickGC »

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member
Re: Dynamic Domain Name Service [DDNS] errors started March 25
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:53:25 AM »

Try to use this NTP servers
http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html
ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »

Thank you Kthaddock for the reply:

Unfortunately, the router went into a continuous reboot cycle when I attempted to use that NTP pool.  This is not the fault of that particular Network Time Protocol pool of servers.  Rather, an old bug first reported when the router was quite new on the market has reemerged in more recent versions of the firmware. What apparently happens is, if the router is passed off through too many NTP servers the unit simply crashes and reboots in an endless cycle. Once the continuous reboot cycle has started the only way to settle the router down is to disconnect it's WAN port.

Here's a link to one of the original detailed bug reports.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=5980.0

However, whether or not timeservers are used does not seem to affect the current odd behavior of the dynamic domain name service.  It just started out of the blue with the above-mentioned errors.  I just tried rolling back the firmware as well on the router with no change.  So at this point the cause looks to be external regarding the DDNS service.  All appropriate ports and services are also open and functional.  

The current plan of action [now that everything is manually forward to my IP address] is to wait over the weekend and see if the router experiences another miraculous healing as it did with the time issue.  If not, then the phone calls, e-mails and digging up workarounds.

Very odd though, up until March this router had performed flawlessly under continuous use with Linux, Windows, and a variety of laptops.

Patrick

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:30:01 AM by PatrickGC »

kthaddock

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:01:42 AM »

Try to use this NTP servers
http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html

Have you used this format ??.pool.ntp.org

Red is for that country you choose
ASUS RT-N16  FW: DD-WRT v24 17140-vpn M NEWD-2 K2.6 -kong.
DIR-655 H/W: A3 FW: 1.31EUB02 This FW is working !
Never argue with a burk. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Di-624+ FW: 2.10

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:05:36 AM »

Yup tried that too.

SandoCon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »

>:( Incidentally I have the Exact issue with my DIR-665 the issue started on March 25 when it would not log on to my tzo DDNS service.
I called Tech Support and one Tech tried having me change firewall settings (bla bla) kept putting me on hold till eventually he hung up by accident I guess  :o D-Link needs to look into this or I may have to return the router.
It's no longer providing me with the tools as advertise.

Sando.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:26:52 AM by SandoCon »

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »

Hi SandoCon:

Wow, that confirms that it's a router glitch.  Do you use TZO as well?

JimMonz

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »

Could this be related to my post?

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12285.0

SandoCon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »

Yes PatrickGC I'm also using tzo.com for my DDNS Service I'm on DSL with ISP Bell Canada in Toronto.
Some how I'm hoping that someone @ D-Link headquarters is minding the Forums and is realizing that there's a problem that needs looking into ****to... I just reccomended this said router to a friend,  for the most of it "it was bullet proof until now"! I may have to warn him about the latest turn of events where even Dlink don't seem to know or have a fix for.

I'm not impressed to say the least.

Stay tuned.

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »

Hi SandoCon:

Once again, this router just pulled a rabbit out of the hat---I happen to notice about two hours ago that the retry's for connecting to TZO had stopped.  Low and behold the DDNS service is now being updated  and the time on the router's web page not only reads out properly, there are now initials for Pacific daylight Time appended to the end.which were not there before.

Which leads me to some speculation:
A. Perhaps, a timestamp is included when updating the DDNS service.  When it is too far out, the update is simply rejected.  Now that the timestamp is correct the information is excepted.

B. TZO had an error in their network and the router logs were correct.  If that is the case, it's their first major error since I started with them in 2004.

The only thing I "did" with the router in the last day was leave it alone. [The Syslog client is set up so I don't have to log in to monitor it.] Simply ran out of ideas to play with.  Maybe that's the trick: the various bits of software have to synchronize.

I will post an update on Thursday April 1 when the router is scheduled to make a timeout connection to TZO.  Haven't got the nerve up to arbitrarily reboot the router now that things seem to be going well.

As far as the router functions go, it is one of the best units I've used. So don't feel bad about recommending it to your friend.  UPNP[Universal plug-and-play] features work well.  This is how current software programs automatically open ports for things like video and messenger software.  The memory is stable and handles file sharing and file transfer programs well.  The wireless range is good, although with old hardware capable of using only WEP encryption you may see some problems.  But aside from that I think your friend is safe.

Patrick

PS: if there are any errors in the above text apologies.  I am using voice dictation software dictating directly into the browser.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:38:39 PM by PatrickGC »

SandoCon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »

By The Powers of Austin.

Patrick you are the man! The clues which you posted led me to look into the time configuration of the router my time was correct. However the daylight savings time offset was incorrect; I changed that and tried reconnection and.... Presto!
I'm connected once again to my tzo DDNS.

Thank you for following up BTW that speech to text works like a charm is that Dragon Natural Speaking?

SandoCon

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »

Hi SandoCon:

Yes it is Dragon NaturallySpeaking preferred edition.  Due to a limited income it is only version 8 and running on an older Pentium 4 with 1 GB of memory.  It works quite well and I hear the newer versions are much improved to boot.

That is excellent news and definitive proof that a timestamp is included with the DDNS update information.  I shall write both D-Link and TZO immediately to inform them that things are working.

Patrick

PatrickGC

• Level 2 Member
    • Portfolio Site
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »

Good News:

Today, as hoped, the router updated the DDNS provider properly.  Here are the messages from my system log server: (edited for legibility)
Code: [Select]
04/01/10 07:10:07 Updating dynamic DNS entry due to timeout
04/01/10 07:10:10 Successfully updated dynamic DNS entry for Successful Update
04/01/10 07:10:12 Stored configuration to non-volatile memory
04/01/10 07:10:12 Next dynamic DNS update scheduled for Sun Apr 04 07:10:21 2010
Both D-Link and TZO, the DDNS provider have been updated on this issue.  Hopefully the next firmware will completely resolve all time related issues.

Patrick