• April 18, 2024, 07:58:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DLINK DGS-1210-28P - VOICE VLAN  (Read 3965 times)

Joaodagraca

• Level 1 Member
DLINK DGS-1210-28P - VOICE VLAN
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:21:09 AM »

Good day all,
I'm very new to VLANS and need to get this switch setup fairly quickly. Here are the requirements

VOICE VLAN ID =2
Only IPPhones will be plugged into ports 1 -22

port 23 has a management laptop plugged into it
port 24 is connected to port 2 on  the cisco router which links through to the service provider offering the PABX service

They have said that the Voice VLAN needs to be on ID 2 to be able to obtain DHCP addresses from the router.
How would I configure this?
Thanks in Advance :-\

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
Re: DLINK DGS-1210-28P - VOICE VLAN
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 05:46:40 AM »

Hi,

voice VLANs are only needed, if you connect phones that itself provide connectors for PCs - hence you would connect a combination of a PC and a phone to one switch port.

But since you say that only IP phones will be connected you can use a standard VLAN instead of a voice VLAN.

They have said that the Voice VLAN needs to be on ID 2 to be able to obtain DHCP addresses from the router.

I interprete this statement to mean that Ethernet frames entering/leaving your router's port 2 have to be tagged with VID 2.

Hence, I'd suggest you configure your switch as follows:

• Add a new VLAN with VID=2.
  • Ports 1-22: Set them to be untagged members of VLAN 2, set their PVID=2.
  • Port 24: Set it to be a tagged member of VLAN 2, leave its PVID at its default value (1).

See this manual, page 32, chapters "VLAN > 802.1Q VLAN" and "VLAN > 802.1Q VLAN PVID".

PT
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:16:48 AM by PacketTracer »