• April 25, 2024, 03:11:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Firmware 1.05 introduces new flaws in RAID resynch  (Read 12282 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Firmware 1.05 introduces new flaws in RAID resynch
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »

I stand corrected  ;D however THAT information is NOT in the manual
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

bspvette86

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »

No, but it does always talk about using "NEW" drives.  Get out your wallet!   :o

CHeers!
K

revjd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »

Got another scenario for you Karl.

User has a pair of disks in a RAID1 array in a DNS-323 - he's using it and everything is good - he keeps it on a shelf in the basement alongside the router and cable modem and so on, and he accesses it through a mixed wired/wireless network from upstairs

One day he goes down in the basement and notices an amber LED - so he asks his buddy what to do next - and he's told to "reseat" the drives - maybe there's a bad connection - and so he does.  Trouble is, that amber LED has been on for a month without him noticing it and he has written fresh data to the "degraded" drive - if the unit formats and resyncs the correct drive, he's happy - if the unit formats and resynchs the wrong drive (kind of what it did in my case) he is going to be majorly pissed (if he doesn't have a backup) or if he does he wil be less upset, but either way, he will question the reliability of the device and whether or not he should continue to use it to store data.

Now - this is not as far fetched as it might seem - I don't know if you're aware of it, but on another forum, there have been anecdotal reports of drives disappearing and then reappearing when the user reseats them.

This is exactly the scenario I am encountering today.  I am a somewhat tech-savvy user, but am pretty new to RAIDS and have always felt networking issues to be unpleasant, and prefer network components to be designed so that they "just work."

My DNS 323 started making weird noises last night, and I noticed that one of the lights was amber.  So I shut it off and then this morning, took out hte amber drive and reseated it.  Now the DNS 323 webpage says the RAID is degraded.  I would REALLY LOVE to trust that just pressing "Manually Rebuild Now" from the Tools/RAID page would do the right thing, and reformat the bad drive, then synch it up with the good data.  Can I trust that?  I'm not sure, partially because of the info I'm reading in tech forums on the Internet, and partially because the documentation on how to use the Dlink web interface to rebuild your RAID array amounts to less than hand-waving.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »

As a fellow tech savvy user :) here's what I would do in your situation.

1) Backup my data
2) Create a "telltale" file - any sort of small text file will do.
3) Cross my fingers and click rebuild.
4) After the rebuild completes, check for the presence of the "telltale" file - if it's there it resynched correctly, if it's not, it didn't.

You could also remove the drive and delete all partitions and reinsert before clicking rebuild.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.
Pages: 1 [2]