• April 16, 2024, 03:55:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: unauthorized use of my uplink, originating from DIR-628 firmware  (Read 5755 times)

t4251736

• Level 1 Member

This is a new DIR-628.  With firmware 1.12, "SecureSpot" turned off, and the option to automatically check for new firmware also turned off, the router attempts to contact these addresses at every boot:

WWW.DLINK.COM                                                                                           
DIR-628.bsecure.com                                                                                     
WWW.BSECURE.COM                                                                                         
DIR-628.BSECURE.COM                                                                                     
DLF.BSECURE.COM                                                                                         
DLS.BSECURE.COM                                                                                         
DLA.BSECURE.COM                                                                                         
DLA.BSECURE.COM

I have also seen periodic connection attempts to wrpd.dlink.com.tw.

After updating the firmware to 1.20 (release), it's worse: I'm now seeing constant queries, about one every second, to 40.17.bsecure.com.  Again, "SecureSpot" is still turned off.

What is the purpose of this unauthorized use of my network and how can it be disabled?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:30:57 PM by t4251736 »

t4251736

• Level 1 Member
Re: unauthorized use of my uplink, originating from DIR-628 firmware
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:30:12 PM »

This looks like a firmware bug.

If I turn "SecureSpot" on and then back off again, the traffic does not recur.  On reboot, the constant traffic to *.bsecure.com reappears, even though "SecureSpot" is still marked "off".  Toggling the setting will again make the traffic stop, until the next reboot.

This irritation needs a firmware fix.

TheHoff

• Level 1 Member
Re: unauthorized use of my uplink, originating from DIR-628 firmware
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »

I agree, please fix this and don't turn it on by default.