• April 18, 2024, 04:59:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HD-video stutters  (Read 2971 times)

javlar

• Level 1 Member
HD-video stutters
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »

Hi!

I bought a DNS-320L about a month ago, but I haven't had time to set everything up until a few days ago.

I previously own a Netgear ReadyNAS-DUO2, which is something like three years old. That NAS streams full-HD-videos without any trouble at all, I can skip forward, fast-forward etc etc without any issues.

The DNS-320L however seems to have one hell of a time trying to do this. I am having an even harder time understanding why. The thing is when I start a movie things seem fine but every 5-10 minutes it will just stop for roughly 10 seconds and then resume, I do NOT get any sort of buffering-message (I've tested on different computers and with different players), it just stops and continues a few seconds later.

When I've looked at the resource monitor for the NAS it seems to be doing something similar. The network drops from 2-3Mbps to zero when these interruptions happen. The CPU spikes up to 20-100% every minute or so. Everything else is within limits.

I am at a loss, the only reason I bought this NAS was to stream movies and series. As it is right now I just transferred 5tb worth of videos for no reason and I don't even think I can return it anymore due to swedish return policies being something like 14 days long.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

martysport

• Level 1 Member
Re: HD-video stutters
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 11:58:43 PM »

Have you tried updating the firmware? I think the later firmware have a more stable CPU usage.

I have mine connected to 4 wired (gigabit) PC's and they play with no issues what so ever (I use VLC for the PC's)
I also have two more wired connections (100mbps) going to my two Enigma2 set top boxes and these too play perfectly.

Many of my movies are in 1080p too ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »

What firmware are you using?
What protocol are you using to stream media?
Are you running any other services or apps on the DNS-320L?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

javlar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »

Thanks alot for the quick replies.

I'm using 1.0 firmware. Perhaps I should try upgrading.

Protocol is SMB.

No apps or services running on the 320L, it's as "vanilla" as they come, all I've done is copy the videos to the hdd's.

I have however noticed now that the problem is just occuring with files from one of the hdd's, the one which is almost full. I have two 3TB Seagate drives, one which is filled 99% and the other 40%. I will try a smart-test, maybe it's just the drive which is faulty.

javlar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »

Yeah definitely seems the be the harddrive. The functioning drive passed the quick SMART in roughly 2 minutes where as I've been able to even complete the test on the faulty drive.

Annoying to get a brand new faulty drive but at least a problem that warranty will fix :)

Thanks again for the responses!