• April 19, 2024, 12:59:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWA-160 - It's Here! First Impressions  (Read 6177 times)

FromAtoN

• Level 2 Member
DWA-160 - It's Here! First Impressions
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:30:33 PM »

I don't like the choice of white for this product or any PC or networking product; leave that for that other company.  The color makes the adapter plastic look really cheap.  This adapter is wider than your normal device and did not fit in any of my notebook USB ports.  A big minus in my book and a royal pain to tote around the wired adapter; I'm afraid I'll accidently drop it in the toilet.  At least the adapter is sturdy and doest appear to get knocked over easily.  Again it is white and that is a problem.  Just think about dirt.  Maybe D-Link can sell icloths or something to clean them.

I was using the DWA-652 with the DGL-4500 strictly in N mode.  I changed the DGL-4500's band to 5GHz and only used the DWA-160 in N mode.  It's nice to see I'm still the only person in my area using 802.11 on the 5GHz band.

Maximum link connect with this is now 270Mb while 300Mb was the norm with the other product.  My signal ranges from none to sometimes good, but usually just enough to get a connection.  And this was after having to go upstairs and getting close enough to increase power to maximum on the router.  I set it to low initially and was getting lots of disconnects.  The medium power setting wasn't much better.  The DI-754 running A has always served me at the lowest power setting and also the DWA-AB650 I still use on another laptop.  The DWA-160 doesn't give me a power option.

The utility from the shipping driver (v1.00 and same as web site) appears to be the same as the latest DWA-652 beta driver utility.  You get one orange light that just flashes and is much more annoying because of its size.  The manual doesn't tell you anything about what the lights indicate.  Wish there were two like link and activity.

It was a pain to get this thing working somewhat reliably and I'm considering returning it.  I'll hang on to it just long enough to see if 2.4GHz is really that crowded around here.  My wife already hates the thought of having to carry around a wired device to a "wireless" laptop.  It's starting to look like a mcair!  http://youtube.com/watch?v=n6SAvHWzhOQ
 :-\

arklab

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWA-160 - It's Here! First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »

I think you really should check out this thread.
It might solve much of your problem.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1986.0

As far as the white, how about a wide tip permanent marker?