• April 19, 2024, 01:06:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How to use FTP over SSL/TLS  (Read 53830 times)

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
Re: How to use FTP over SSL/TLS
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

i totaly agree, there should be an option to select or disable regular ftp on the server side
Yes... but for now, the easy solution are by the Router ! ... Port-Forward to the NAS only the SSL port ... All other disabled.

zehninguem

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »

Hi,

Just to give a closure, I'll blame communication. Maybe if DLink had adde [at version 1.06] ... "Also we have no plans to disable regular Non-SSL FTP [at version 1.06]". But, I also could have requested clarification.

Also, I agree with MountainMan that DLink is doing a better job answering our requests than most companies ... but that should but the rule and not the exception in my point of view ...

And, the router forwarding only port 22 is a solution that is not full but fit for us that are interested in more security from the WAN and can not afford having grandmas using ssh clients.

Requests going to 1.07 list

Cheers

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 06:35:38 AM »

i don't really see what the point of using ftp in your internal network is anyway, since you could connect by unc or network drive mapping.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »

Yup

The product box has an asterisk (*) beside FTP that does indicate that D-Link recommends using FTP over a VPN ... which seems kinda useless as if one is using VPN, one will most likely use UNC to get to access the files.

Cheers,

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »

Yes... but for now, the easy solution are by the Router ! ... Port-Forward to the NAS only the SSL port ... All other disabled.

BUMP. Dlink is very good with it's support forum and addressing features etc. Though I don't understand why someone would use the FTP over lan. Anyway. No biggie. Anyway...back to the topic...use your router guys!

Lucid

Tipstaff

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »

Why use FTP on a Lan? Simple: flow control. For instance, I have a client that has 2 DNS-323s setup in their company: 1 for archiving, and 1 for active data (current data). Neither box is directly accessed by their users as they have a server for this purpose. Their server does a synchronized backup of data to the "current" DNS twice a day for both user and database files (btw, this is their setup, and not the way I would do things, so please, no comments on this).

So, lets say you do a direct copy to that DNS over the Lan. What happens? It will do so at the full bandwidth of the connection, and in this case tying up the entire bandwidth to the server. At night they don't care, but during the day? Hell no. This is where FTP comes in. By using FTP we can set the flow control to something more manageable. Something that won't interfere with users access to the server.

Edit: also, while this is something STILL not implemented in the DNS-323 (and something we've been bugging D-Link for ever since the box came out, btw), logging is another reason for using FTP. You don't get that with straight file copying.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:35:04 PM by Tipstaff »

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »

Very good answer! Makes perfect sense. Thanks for your reply.

MisterGoupil

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 03:14:51 PM »

Hi,

Because i'm a newbie !  Can you explain step by step, how to configure the router (mine is Linksys WRT54GS v1.1) to forward only SSL port ...

Thank you in advance.

Laurent

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »

Edit: also, while this is something STILL not implemented in the DNS-323 (and something we've been bugging D-Link for ever since the box came out, btw), logging is another reason for using FTP. You don't get that with straight file copying.

FTP and Device logging has been added in 1.03(when it releases) DNS-343 firmware. There are plans to add this same option to the next DNS-323 firmware :).

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »

Hi,

Because i'm a newbie !  Can you explain step by step, how to configure the router (mine is Linksys WRT54GS v1.1) to forward only SSL port ...

Thank you in advance.

Laurent

I've used the WRT54GL Firmware Version:4.30.5

I believe you should have no problems following these instructions though

Step 1
1) Login to your routers admin page
2) Click on the Applications and Gaming Tab
3) You are now in teh port forwarding page
4) Under Application Enter NAS SSL (or whatever you want)
5) In both the START and END PORT fields enter 443
6) Leave Protocl at TCP
7) Enter the IP address of your NAS
8) Click on the box to ENABLE the rule
9) Click SAVE SETTINGS

STEP 2
1) Click on SECURITY tab
2) Enable Filter Internet NAT Redirection  (this will use the port forwarding rules to prevent Wan aaccess to LAN servers)
3) Click SAVE SETTINGS.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers!

Lucid
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:14:27 PM by Lucid »

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 01:14:20 AM »

Step 1
1) Login to your routers admin page
2) Click on the Applications and Gaming Tab
3) You are now in teh port forwarding page
4) Under Application Enter NAS SSL (or whatever you want)
5) In both the START and END PORT fields enter 443
6) Leave Protocl at TCP
7) Enter the IP address of your NAS
8) Click on the box to ENABLE the rule
9) Click SAVE SETTINGS

Did anybody else had success using FTP over SSL from outside the network (ex: using a DynDNS domain)? Which application are you using for the FTPES?

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »

not me, there must be another port to forward or something. Dlink should release some instructions. it only works internal. as a test you could always put the DNS323 in a DMZ, but ONLY as a test i wouldn't recommend it past that because of security risks

mcduarte2000

• Level 2 Member
    • Miguel Duarte
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 02:17:33 AM »

Ping!!!

Any news regarding this? Does anybody at D-Link want to help us configuring FTPS using a DLINK router (on my case DIR-655), for external communications? Until now it seems nobody can use this nice feature, so, D-Link help would really be nice! ;)

Regards,

Miguel Duarte

Dirk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »

This does not work. The DNS 323 uses one port (default 21) for both vanilla ftp and ftps. There is no special SSL port.
Dirk

lucanaut

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »

I have been using plain FTP with no issues on the older firmware version.  Now that I have the new firmware, I tried accessing the DNS using Filezilla with the option of FTP over over explicit TLS/SSL, but no luck.  It appears to connect, but is unable to bring up the folder list.  Am I missing something?  If I revert to plain FTP it works fine, but I kind of would like the extra security.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4