• March 29, 2024, 12:23:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: can i install my DCS-932L outside?  (Read 56485 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: can i install my DCS-932L outside?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

. . .A wider field of view is definitely in order. Here is a view.

I tested a wide angle lens attachment I had from a Flip camera.  The lens increased the field of view by approximately 10-15 degrees or so.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »

I had my first DCS-932 failure.  This was a camera mounted outside the house, under eves.  Location is west-central ohio.  I don't know if this is weather related, but the camera went through a few winters, then failed during a summer.  The camera, itself, felt warm when I went to investigate.

I have not tried any corrective action.  Perhaps it will work once it cools down, or if I perform some type of reset. 

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »

I had my first DCS-932 failure.  This was a camera mounted outside the house, under eves.  Location is west-central ohio.  I don't know if this is weather related, but the camera went through a few winters, then failed during a summer.  The camera, itself, felt warm when I went to investigate.

I have not tried any corrective action.  Perhaps it will work once it cools down, or if I perform some type of reset. 

The DCS-932L is not rated for outdoor use. Humidity and other environmental factors may be the cause for this failure, particularly if you are in a temperate climate with large seasonal fluctuations. You can try physically removing the power cord for a while and let the unit cool (as you suggested). If the unit fails to power-up, perform a factory reset: while the DCS-932L is powered-up, using a paperclip, press and hold the recessed reset button on the rear of the unit for > 8 seconds. This procedure will restore the DCS-932L to the factory default settings, so you'll have to reconfigure the camera the same way as when you first purchased the unit.

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 03:55:24 AM »

The DCS-932L is not rated for outdoor use.

Yes, I know.  That was the point of this entire thread...folks wondering if it can be used outside (despite the ratings).  Of course, I cannot say whether being outside was the cause of the failure in this particular case.  At the time, operating conditions were well within the specified range, but it could have been the culmination of thermal cycling or corrosion, or something.  The device appears as new from the outside.

Thanks for the tips for trying to bring it back to life.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 04:33:15 AM »

Yes, I know.  That was the point of this entire thread...folks wondering if it can be used outside (despite the ratings).  Of course, I cannot say whether being outside was the cause of the failure in this particular case.  At the time, operating conditions were well within the specified range, but it could have been the culmination of thermal cycling or corrosion, or something.  The device appears as new from the outside.

Thanks for the tips for trying to bring it back to life.

Please post back after you've tried a factory reset -- or other rehabilitative measures.  ;)

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 01:36:02 PM »

New power supply.  Cooled off.  Factory reset. 

Seriously dead. 

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2013, 06:11:29 AM »

New power supply.  Cooled off.  Factory reset. 

Seriously dead. 

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.  :'(
At least you got several seasons from the camera while outdoors. Living in the Northeast, I'm not sure my DCS-932L would stand up to years of outdoor use with the wide variation of temperature and humidity.

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 04:12:32 AM »

The camera was ready for replacement anyhow.  While it may have "worked" outside for a few years, I found it functionally inadequate.  It was fine in the daytime, but the IR emitters were simply not strong enough to be of any use during nights in the outside environment. 

One of my cameras is a foscam.  It is clunky large, and the image quality is not very good (colorwise, that is), but it is rated for exterior use, and it is quite useful at night.  I may try another one in place of the failed DCS-932. 

I don't see myself spending hundreds of dollars for an IP camera, so I will be stuck with the bargain versions for now.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 04:37:45 AM »

The dcs 2230 is very good in low light.
Newegg has some ir illuminators assembled with power  supply.
The 60 ft one gets up to 130f indoors after 10 minutes.
Kind of like a spotlight almost..a little strong at 25ft indoors with 5222l irs.

The camera was ready for replacement anyhow.  While it may have "worked" outside for a few years, I found it functionally inadequate.  It was fine in the daytime, but the IR emitters were simply not strong enough to be of any use during nights in the outside environment. 

One of my cameras is a foscam.  It is clunky large, and the image quality is not very good (colorwise, that is), but it is rated for exterior use, and it is quite useful at night.  I may try another one in place of the failed DCS-932. 

I don't see myself spending hundreds of dollars for an IP camera, so I will be stuck with the bargain versions for now.

oberkc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 06:55:27 AM »

Thanks RYAT3 for the suggestion.  I actually find the -932 good for low light conditions, so long that you don't ask for too much range (such as for indoor use within about 10ft or so).  While the -2230 may have better range, I will probably opt for a camera that is actually rated for outdoor use if possible.  Using the -932 outside was admittedly an experiment, and I would prefer not replacing them every 2 or 3 years if possible.  I note that the -2230 has the same environmental ratings as the -932.

The IR illuminator is certainly something that I should consider.

kah00na

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »

I just installed my DCS-930L outside.  I put tape over the ethernet jack to keep water and dust out of it.  Then I put hot glue around where the front and back covers meet and around where the lens touches the front cover.  Then I attached the power cord and put hot glue around it to keep water and dust out of it too.  It is mounted up under an eave of the house so it should avoid most of the rain and snow.

jwwilson45

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »

I searched all over looking for an enclosure that the DCS will cameras fit in without much success.  I did come across an enclosure made for the Exxis cameras that fit perfectly, and was able to get two but cannot find any more.

While talking with a friend that also wants to mount the cameras outside, he said he was going to mount his camera in a 4" piece of PVC pipe.  That got me to thinking.  I went to The Home Depot and while wandering through plumbing department I came up with an enclosure that will protect the camera. 

I have built two of these enclosures so far using a 4" PVC threaded cap, male adapter (sewer clean out) and a 4" to 3" reducing bushing. The network cable and power wire are ran into a 2" plastic box mounted on the house and then I use plastic water tight conduit from the box to the housing.  You can use a hole saw to drill a 3/4" hole into the male adapter and use PVC cement to attach the water tight fitting.   

I did build a Lexan cover that fit inside the reducing bushing but it reflected too much of the IR back and makes the image very fuzzy.

I live in Florida and we have humidity...I left the front open.

Everything is common stuff at Lowes or Home Depot and cost less than $15.00.  I purchased several mounting arms off Amazon for about $8.00 each.

Trying to figure how to insert photos...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »

hardhittinz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »

i recently installed a 932L outside the building where my wife works and its been great so far and made it through a few t-storms without missing a beat,id be happy to get a couple years out if it at least as the cam isn't that expensive..Id like to have the 2332L outdoor cam but for the price i can get 4 or 5 932L's so I'm gonna go with this and see how long it last,day and night video is great..

sip06pp

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2014, 03:57:54 AM »

i setup 2 DCS 932L Outside 2 weeks ago with WiFi and power from porch light power line. Cameras under Veranta roofs.

All great so far.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4