• April 16, 2024, 01:00:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGS-1224t and Airport extreme topography  (Read 2860 times)

akcub

• Level 1 Member
DGS-1224t and Airport extreme topography
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »

Hello All,
    I have a 1224t, rev D switch I am using as the center of my home network. I have 20 Cat 6 drops throughout the house and at any one time 4 or 5 are actually in use. Right now the switch is running in "out of the box" mode with a Airport Extreme providing internet uplink via a cable modem. I mostly run mac's in the house, wired and wireless, but I do have a desktop that is wired.
    Here is the setup now- from cable modem to user.

Cable modem
Airport extreme (airport express for speakers) (USB hard drive for Music, pictures) (network printer) (Xbox)
DGS-1224T (house cat 5 and cat 6 drops)

I am running into 2 issues with the setup the way it is right now.

One, if I am streaming music from the USB drive via iTunes and the airport express, if I start the xbox up it totally disrupts the music. It doesn't appear that the xbox has any bandwidth issues but its pretty hard to tell... My thoughts to fix problem one are to change the setup so the only thing that is connected to the airport extreme is the hard drive via USB and the wireless clients. Is this the right idea?

Two, in order to access any setup functions on the router from the mac's I need to change their IP address to the same IP address as the router (from 10.0.1.x to 192.168.x.x). I would like the setup access to be transparent- type in the routers IP address from any computer on the network and access setup. Is this possible with a mixed bag of mac/pc's on the network?

Any thoughts on correcting either issue? Is there a better way to configure the topography of the network for what I am doing?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience with my network illiterate description/questions.

Scott