• April 15, 2024, 11:53:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: No Internet when connected to the DIR-615  (Read 46634 times)

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
Re: No Internet when connected to the DIR-615
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »

It's 100% a configuration issue. Why else would her DIR-635 work without problems for 5+ years? I asked her today, she never did anything fancy like using it as an access point or similar.

So you have no idea how your internet actually works? I think that should be your first step otherwise we are troubleshooting in the dark. I doubt they would put everyone in the complex on the same network. That would be a security nightmare. So there must be some kind of room with a patch panel or switch or something to separate traffic going to your apartment.
Never needed to know the exact setup they use; I just know that it's fast, cheap and has always worked pretty well, certainly never had any router setup problems. As for a switch, none that any residents have access to. And as for the security, well yes, that would fit the carrier NAT that I, long time ago and on forgotten basises, pretty reasonably guessed they had. The point is, though, that of me and my mother, brother and friend who've all lived in this complex with the same ISP for 10+ years have never, ever had anything to do with a modem for it to work.

Here's a picture of the ethernet jack in the wall; either it goes from the wall to the router or, as I am using it right now, directly into my computer. https://ibb.co/mXsqmF

Some screenshots of your router's status page would help, but honestly I think it's more important to know about what kind of network the router is being put into.
Why's that all suddenly important? Following the router setup wizard guides or whatever they're called has served me well in the past on the same network.

PS. If you don't know how the internet works, how do you know about it using carrier NAT? Is this a WISP or some kind internet based on cellular?
It was a good guess as I said above. And no, it says on their site that it's cable.

I've just ordered another cheap router that I quickly found, should come by monday or tuesday. I'm almost certain it'll work immediately, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:54:10 PM by mads920d »

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »

Need IP address seen on PC when connected directly to ISP service. This will help.
/ipconfig info or info from the router page?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 01:51:32 PM »

Time for teamviewer HH...  ::)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »

Time for teamviewer HH...  ::)
Both my IPv4 address and default gateway starts with 10. Is that what you wanted?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »

Ok, thats probably a private IP address. Probably a router in front what what your connecting the 615 too on the WAN side.

I recommend having Harry get with you on teamviewer and have a look with you and your configuration. It's safe and secure.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »

Ok, thats probably a private IP address. Probably a router in front what what your connecting the 615 too on the WAN side.

I recommend having Harry get with you on teamviewer and have a look with you and your configuration. It's safe and secure.
Yes, hence the Xbox issue I had. Can't host any services with a private IP. To my knowledge it shouldn't stop me from simply getting online on the computer through the router, though.

Hard Harry

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »

"The point is, though, that of me and my mother, brother and friend who've all lived in this complex with the same ISP for 10+ years have never, ever had anything to do with a modem for it to work."

Nope, the point is the DIR-615 doesn't work when the DIR-635 did. There can be all kinds of reasons. "It worked before" is not a helpful statement. They might have a firewall that only allows known devices to connect and the new DIR-615 is not known to the firewall. Or it could be you use a static IP and not DHCP. That would explain why your ISP support gave you a static IP to use with Xbox. It could be the router's DHCP scheme conflicts with the IP scheme the complex uses. You came here asking why something doesn't work. The only way to figure that out is to learn what the network is and how it works. It seems like you are waiting for some easy button to press to fix it, and if I had it I would give it to you, but we can only go by what you tell us.

I think TV is a bit premature. I am NOT remoting into an unknown network in some unknown country. I am willing to help but not at the cost of my privacy and security.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:28:59 PM by Hard Harry »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »

From Denmark...
Teamviewer is safe and secure...Have used it before with other peoples routers and helped them set up configurations.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »

There are logs and stuff...with IP's in TV...

I know you all know my IP's coming here... it's all logged.

Hard Harry

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »

Last week I remoted into someone's computer to help with a VPN. User was having issues with their ISP carrier NAT. About half way through configuring I noticed the IP was in Egypt. I learned in Egypt it is jailable offense to use Tor or any VPN to get around governmental restrictions on the internet. Not only could I have gotten in trouble, but if user was tracked, he could have ended up in jail. There are similar restrictions in China, North Korea and Iran.  So now I am a little more caution before remoting into someone's network without knowing the entire situation. If OP would describe the situation, where they live, who their ISP is, etc, I would feel more comfortable.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:19:22 AM by Hard Harry »

Hard Harry

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »

From Denmark...
Teamviewer is safe and secure...Have used it before with other peoples routers and helped them set up configurations.

It can still be tracked if you know what you are doing, and I assume any government spying on it's people's internet know enough to track it. Are you saying OP is from Denmark?  They usually either use EuroDOCSIS or FTTP and Carrier NAT would not be typical. OP can know for sure by going to this site..

In general, if DIR-615 is being connected to a 10.x.x.x network then it would help to know what static IP was given to them to use, and configure that into the router. Or change the router's DHCP scheme so that the gateway IP is the 10.x.x.x gateway IP given out. However I think there is something else going on keeping it from working with normal DHCP, I just don't know what yet.

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »

From Denmark...

It can still be tracked if you know what you are doing, and I assume any government spying on it's people's internet know enough to track it. Are you saying OP is from Denmark?  They usually either use EuroDOCSIS or FTTP and Carrier NAT would not be typical. OP can know for sure by going to this site..

In general, if DIR-615 is being connected to a 10.x.x.x network then it would help to know what static IP was given to them to use, and configure that into the router. Or change the router's DHCP scheme so that the gateway IP is the 10.x.x.x gateway IP given out. However I think there is something else going on keeping it from working with normal DHCP, I just don't know what yet.
Which static IP? The one they gave me for my Xbox? The public IP itself was a 80.x.x.x, the IP I was supposed to put into the router to get it to work was a 10.x.x.x.

And from what I understand of the carrier-grade NAT, it fits my ISP pretty well. The additional NAT is why I needed an public IP (which I had to pay for) to use the Xbox online.

Not sure what situational descriptions you want, though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:17:10 AM by mads920d »

Hard Harry

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »

Who is the ISP and/or what country are you in?

"The one they gave me for my Xbox? The public IP itself was a 80.x.x.x, the IP I was supposed to put into the router to get it to work was a 10.x.x.x."

So your ISP told you to set your Xbox with a public 80.x.x.x IP and your router to use a private 10.x.x.x IP? If so, I don't understand why. I could understand the opposite, where you would set your router to use a public IP and then create a static IP in your local network for the Xbox to use. The reason why how NAT works for your internet is important is because that's what a router does, provide NAT. You need to know how your ISP is doing NAT so you can set the router not to conflict with it.

Can you please show some screenshots of your router's status page with the router set to factory defaults?

mads920d

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »

Who is the ISP and/or what country are you in?

"The one they gave me for my Xbox? The public IP itself was a 80.x.x.x, the IP I was supposed to put into the router to get it to work was a 10.x.x.x."

So your ISP told you to set your Xbox with a public 80.x.x.x IP and your router to use a private 10.x.x.x IP? If so, I don't understand why. I could understand the opposite, where you would set your router to use a public IP and then create a static IP in your local network for the Xbox to use. The reason why how NAT works for your internet is important is because that's what a router does, provide NAT. You need to know how your ISP is doing NAT so you can set the router not to conflict with it.

Can you please show some screenshots of your router's status page with the router set to factory defaults?
ISP is Parknet and country is Denmark.

No, I wasn't gonna put anything into my Xbox. I was gonna put the 10.x.x.x IP alongside the subnet mask, gateway and DNS addresses they gave me, into my router. That would then make my internet and all devices connected to it (including the Xbox) appear with a public IP, which was the 80.x.x.x. Just as you right there described.

Pictures will have to come in a bit.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:49:52 AM by mads920d »

Hard Harry

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »

"ISP is Parknet and country is Denmark."

What is your general internet speed? Parknet offers either fiber (FTTP) at 200/200Mbps or DOCSIS(EuorDOCIS?) 3.0  at 40/10Mbps as per their support page. That would mean either a DOCSIS modem or fiber ONT is somewhere in the complex.

So that will answer what you are physically using for internet, however the bigger unknown is what your apartment complex does with it. I'm hoping IPconfig info and screenshots from the router will help show that.

Something you can try on a hunch is clone the MAC address of the DIR-635 to the DIR-615. See here for general instructions, but you would want to enter the WAN MAC address of the DIR-635 instead of your PC's MAC. That way the new router should look like the old router to the complex's network. This would get around any MAC whitelisting or ARP caches. However I have a feeling default settings on the router won't work and we are missing some setting we need to configure in the DIR-615. Do you still have the DIR-635 configure how it was when you used it, or has it been reset to default since then?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:15:50 AM by Hard Harry »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8