• April 24, 2024, 05:20:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS 321 Confusion  (Read 4567 times)

nonquixote

• Level 1 Member
DNS 321 Confusion
« on: January 06, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »

Hi!  I have recently become the owner of a DNS 321 which I am trying to set up on my home network as a media server.  Problem is that I can't transfer (write) any files to the drives installed in the NAS.
I have 2 new 1TB Caviar Blue drives installed.

I can log into the NAS and see it on my Windows 8 network, where it shows up as a media server since I enabled UPnP and shared the NAS as Root.  Both drives are set to allow read/write access to anyone on the network (default), Oplocks and map archive are set to "No".

When I click on the NAS media Icon under My Computer, I can see and navigate the default folders, I just can't change them or copy anything to them.

I reset the NAS to factory default prior to formatting the drives.  Firmware is 1.03.  If I left anything out, please accept my apologies, I'm obviously a NAS noob.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS 321 Confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »

Try manually mapping the DNS-321 using Windows (i.e. Right Click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive)

If both HDDs are configured as RAID-1 or JBOD, you only need to map Volume_1. If the HDDs are configured as Standard Configurations, then you will need to map Volume_1 and Volume_2 (two separate drive maps)

On the Map Network Drive dialog box, set the following values:

• Drive: Select a free drive letter
  • Folder: \\192.168.1.10/Volume_1 (Replace 192.168.1.10 with the IP address of your DNS-321)
  • Check the box "Reconnect at logon"

If your HDDs are mapped as standard configurations, you will need to perform the above procedure twice. For the second mapping, using another free drive letter and change "Volume_1" to "Volume_2".

Please post back and let us know how everything works out.  ;)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

nonquixote

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »

Try manually mapping the DNS-321 using Windows (i.e. Right Click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive)

If both HDDs are configured as RAID-1 or JBOD, you only need to map Volume_1. If the HDDs are configured as Standard Configurations, then you will need to map Volume_1 and Volume_2 (two separate drive maps)

On the Map Network Drive dialog box, set the following values:

• Drive: Select a free drive letter
  • Folder: \\192.168.1.10/Volume_1 (Replace 192.168.1.10 with the IP address of your DNS-321)
  • Check the box "Reconnect at logon"

If your HDDs are mapped as standard configurations, you will need to perform the above procedure twice. For the second mapping, using another free drive letter and change "Volume_1" to "Volume_2".

Please post back and let us know how everything works out.  ;)
First thanks for the reply, and the help.  I reset the NAS to factory default again last night and it showed up as /my computer/network/DLINK-7A98A4 and I was then able to access both volumes through that link.  This morning I looked again and the drive link was no longer showing up (after the computer slept for the night).  I rebooted the NAS, refreshed /network a few times and eventually the NAS showed up once again.

I took your advice and mapped both drives (both are indeed set up as "standard"), hopefully that will keep the NAS accessible through sleep.

Eventually I'd like to set it up as a media server, but for now I'm happy just to have access.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »

I took your advice and mapped both drives (both are indeed set up as "standard"), hopefully that will keep the NAS accessible through sleep.

Eventually I'd like to set it up as a media server, but for now I'm happy just to have access.

Glad I could help. There's no reason why you can't map the DNS-321 as  both a media server and mapped data drive. I'm not sure of the root cause for the media server dropping from your network however. . .  :-\
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC