• April 26, 2024, 05:39:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SATA Revision 3.0 spec  (Read 8659 times)

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
SATA Revision 3.0 spec
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »

I was wondering when the SATA Revision 3.0 specification is finalized will the DNS-321 be firmware upgradeable to the new SATA Revision 3.0 specifications? This is from sata-io.org website from the pdf document "backward compatibility with earlier SATA implementations will be maintained by keeping the existing SATA connector configuration, preserving its inherent cost-conscious design while minimizing changes to existing implementations and infrastructures. The same cables and connectors used for current SATA implementations can be used to connect SATA 6Gb/s devices, although SATA-IO recommends utilizing quality components to ensure data integrity and robust operation at the fast 6Gb/s transfer rate." I hope my D-Link can work on making this happen by making a firmware upgrade in the future.

http://www.sata-io.org/documents/SATA_6gbphy_pressrls_finalrv2.pdf
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:05:50 AM by alan3885 »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: SATA Revision 3.0 spec
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:54:15 AM »

It's a moot point - you'll never see SATA 3.0 speeds across the LAN - if that is what you need, then NAS is not the technology you're looking for.

You perhaps also need to consider the price point at which these devices are being offered
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

bspvette86

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »

You also have to remember the Sata 3 is Backward compatible and SATA 2 is not Upward upgradeable.  SATA is a hardware interface, not a software upgradeable interface.

Cheers!
BSPvette
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:44:32 PM by bspvette86 »

jswashburn

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »

Sorry alan, but vette is correct.

None of the current DNS-NAS devices will provide a SATA 3.0 interface because the hardware was designed for SATA 2.0 at the time. However, if you were to plug in a hard drive that supports SATA 3.0, it will simply step down to SATA 2.0 compatibility when communicating to the NAS device.

It's a simple case of supporting the “lowest common denominator” when dealing with cross-compatibility standards such as SATA.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »

True that!!

I am sorry but I do not have any updates for SATA3 support for our NAS products right now.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream