• April 23, 2024, 02:05:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Verify  (Read 7702 times)

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
Verify
« on: September 04, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

Is there some a verify tool inside the DNS-321 configuration page to confirm that our DNS-321 is mirroring (raid 1) is working properly for example when you use third-party backup software you can verify that backup was good and they only real way to find out is to remove the hard disk and place a empty hard drive out to check and see if the data on the new hard drive was mirrored. It would be so much easier if we had a verify tool this would be very helpful and awesome I hope this tool is already available if it is could someone help me?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:34:48 PM by alan3885 »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Verify
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:07:40 AM »

There is really only one way to verify that the RAID1 is functional and that is to pull a drive and see if the data remains available.

It should be noted that your "proposed test" would require a successful  rebuild or resync - whilst automatic rebuilds or resyncs are desirable they are not essential, and the only thing that would have to be present for RAID1 to be deemed functional is the ability of the system to remain online and functional after the failure of a hard disk.

A quick visual check can be done by observing the drive activity LEDs whilst writing to the disk (a read can be done from either disk) - both should flash, but I hasten to point out that this is not always apparent when copying or transferring small quantities of data, and you can also pull the disks and connect them to any system capable of reading an ext2 file system and verifying that your data is present - if this is done without powering the unit up without the disks, there should be no problem resulting from it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:06:09 PM »

Hmmm I still wonder if D-Link can make a tool to verify that the RAID and mirroring of files is really functioning properly.

jswashburn

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »

Agreed.

D-Link really needs to provide internal RAID diagnostics. If there's a problem going on, I want the ability to correct it or salvage my data someplace else. Being able to store your data with confidence is very important to me.

alan3885

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 06:10:25 AM »

Remember D-Link we buy this NAS to share and to backup are data so I think its very important so please keep on improving by adding some features like a verify test.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:34:54 AM »

The Status page for the web based configuration should show the state of your RAID. It should show "Sync time remaining: Completed". If there are any problems it may show "Degraded".
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jswashburn

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 04:43:01 PM »

It should show "Sync time remaining: Completed". If there are any problems it may show "Degraded".

And how often does it check both drives in a RAID1 configuration with a byte by byte comparison? Having sync time stamps on both drives is one thing, but actually checking the data integrity across all drive sectors is another thing entirely.

Not having security is bad. Having a false sense of security is even worse!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »

It does this check upon bootup of the device.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream