• May 21, 2024, 11:29:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: D-Link DVX-2000 VPN Help  (Read 6452 times)

zer0fx

• Level 1 Member
D-Link DVX-2000 VPN Help
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:02:31 AM »

Hopefully, someone will be able to help me out.

I am using a D-Link DVX-2000 with D-Link DPH125MS phones.

One of the phones I have is at a remote location connected via VPN tunneling to our main location.
The phone works great, it has the extension number showing on the screen, it receives phone calls and makes outbound calls with no problem.

However, in the Response Point Administrator it shows that the phone is not available or it's configuration is inconsistent with the base unit. When I point the mouse over it, for the IP field it shows unknown.

If I view the logs, the remote phone is displayed as receiving and making phone calls.

If i go to view the settings in the phone via port 9999, under SIP Account Settings, it shows that the phone is Registered.

My local IP scheme is 192.168.0.X, Remote IP scheme is 192.168.2.X
Any idea of how I could make it work??

Thank you in advance,
Yuriy

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: D-Link DVX-2000 VPN Help
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:17:06 AM »

The problem with this scenario is that the communication to the phone from the Response Point system is performed by BOOTP, which will normally not pass through a VPN because it is broadcast traffic.  I should also add that I would not want it to pass through a VPN personally as pulling rouge DHCP (DHCP arose as an extension to BOOTP) over a VPN would suck.

The fact that you are getting any success at all is unusual.
non progredi est regredi

zer0fx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:50:30 PM »

On the side with the Response Point unit,  I am using a SonicWall TZ190. At the remote location I am using a Linksys VPN router (they didn't have a d-link VPN router at best buy at that time).

twwebster

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »

Although it works, RP needs all devices to be on the same subnet for them to be correctly recognized. This is why we don't advise using the system over a VPN. Can you let us know what VPN routers/devices you are currently using with this?

This is crazy...in todays networking capabilities...i can see where we would want multiple subnets in our network designs.  Why would RP require a single subnet solution?  Is there any plans in the future of RP to get beyond the single subnet and truly support VPN and remote access?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:12:53 AM by twwebster »