• March 28, 2024, 09:49:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: New firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?  (Read 236873 times)

mark1900

• Level 1 Member
New firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?
« on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:25 PM »

When is the new firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?

There are many outstanding issues with the 1.08 firmware (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11993.0), and the current release 1.09 seemed to do nothing to address those issues.

LH2312

• Level 2 Member
Re: New firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:30:57 AM »

When is the new firmware (1.10) release date for the DNS-323?

There are many outstanding issues with the 1.08 firmware (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11993.0), and the current release 1.09 seemed to do nothing to address those issues.

If I remember right one of the D-Link engineers mentioned end of the year some times ago in a thread.
And that it will be major release, inlcuding bugfixes and new features (e.g. open API) which makes it well worth to wait...  :)

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »

I agree LH2312 but it shouldn't take a year between firmware releases, i also own a QNAP and i get a firmware update normally once a month to fix outstanding issues plus new features as well so D-Link is slacking yet again and not supporting there products

LH2312

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »

...so D-Link is slacking yet again and not supporting there products

I beg to differ here. I'm quite impressed D-Link still supports an aging product so well. Face it, the DNS-323 from a hardware perspective is - almost - yesterdays technology and it was not really a high-price product by then...
Despite that there is/was a constant firmware improvement but yes, I agree, bugs still remain. Nevertheless my DNS-323 is doing well and performs quite good!

If you are interested in learning about a very very sad story concerning an identical NAS - obviously coming from the same OEM source - compared to the DNS-323 and sold by a different vendor (Conceptronic) under the name CH3SNAS just google that..... Folks payed even more for that hardware and now are lost, since the company went belly up some time ago. Those users have only one alternative left: cross flashing to the DNS-323  firmware which is quite risky and definitely not suited for the masses...

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »

IMO, anyone that buys a product based on what it might do in the future is wasting their money.

I bought my two DNS323s baaed on what it can do NOW and I am very happy.

Sure there are a few bugs that I would like to see fixed, but if they had been 'sow stoppers' I would simply have returned them for a refund and bought something else.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »

IMO, anyone that buys a product based on what it might do in the future is wasting their money.

What if you buy the product based on what it can do and a year down the track a new firmware is released that removes or changes what it can do, can't take it back for your money back you just have to live with it.
This is what D-Link has done with the DNS323 and they don't seem to care, when there are bugs to fix and they release a major firmware from 1.08 to 1.09 that does nothing for the masses NOT ONE BUG FIXED and they are telling us the end of the year for a new firmware IMO this is not good enough.

If I could take my unit back and spend $100-$200 more for something else I would and when I'm in the market for another NAS what one do your think I'm NOT going to buy...

R.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »

What if you buy the product based on what it can do and a year down the track a new firmware is released that removes or changes what it can do

Rollback to the firmware you were happy with?

Some features like scandisk and ext3 support were removed, but have been readded.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

fab4272

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »

I beg to differ here. I'm quite impressed D-Link still supports an aging product so well. Face it, the DNS-323 from a hardware perspective is - almost - yesterdays technology and it was not really a high-price product by then...

This argument is flawed.  If you can still buy it and it is advertised by D-link on their own websites, then it should be supported, plain and simple. 

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

Rollback to the firmware you were happy with?

One can't rollback because the old firmwares do not support large HDD's, I held off from changing my 500GB drives for as long as I could, now that I have 2TB HDD's in the unit I have to put up with the firmware and the lose of function.

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »

I agree with fab4272.  D-Link is still selling this product.  Therefore, it is not an old aging product and they should support it.  I monitor this website and I don't recall them saying when the new firmware would be released.  Besides that one firmware release in two years is ridiculous.  They have major bugs and they should be addressed.

Let me ask one question.  When was the last time that anyone has seen a response from anyone at D-Link on this website?  I am beginning to think that D-Link got rid of all their support staff and that we are going to be like Conceptronic and that what we have is what we are going to get.  It might as well be Conceptronic if they are not going to fix their problems. Buggie software that is not getting fixed. What is the difference? If you look at all their NAS product forums you see the same story.  Nothing from them in months.

I certainly do not have much hope in seeing anything from D-Link.  Let's see if D-Link will prove me wrong and respond.  If I were a betting man I would say that we will not here anything from them.

Terry

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »

I think the 323 is a great starting point for people curious about NAS.  I bought the 323 becuase it was cheap. I wanted to actually see if a NAS was right for me and my enviroment, also weather I would actually use it as compared to a *nix PC server.  I have since learned I love the space/power saving of a NAS device, i have then chose to upgrade to a better device (synology DS210+).

323 is nearing end of life for dlink im sure (I honestly wouldnt expect much from dlink on this product), but its still a great starting point for most users.

I am now a synology fanboy, and would reccomend their products.  They come at a price thought.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »

It really depends what you want your NAS to do. Yes, there are more expensive boxes out there that do much more. I doubt Ford owners moan about Lamborghini's being much better.

The point is, some people don't want IP camera support, automated 24x7 illegal downloads of p*** and access to a lifetime's worth of photos from any destination on the planet.

Some people want a Network Attached Storage system, to store stuff, on the network. And at a cheap price. This is what the DNS-323 does. Yes, there are some bugs - most consumer electronics of this nature do (media streamers, NAS boxes, TVs, even cars - you name it) but I'm tired of reading how apparently cr*p this box is, because it's not something that it was ever designed to be. Whatsmore, with a little knowledge and effort, you can make this box do almost anything you want it to at almost zero risk.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:39:02 PM by jamieburchell »

fab4272

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »

I'm tired of reading how apparently cr*p this box is, because it's not something that it was ever designed to be. Whatsmore, with a little knowledge and effort, you can make this box do almost anything you want it to at almost zero risk.

Most of the post's here relate to features that are advertised but are not working correctly.  Whether or not it is an issue with the NAS or their PC I cannot answer, but assuming it is the NAS, then the claims/posts are legitimate.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 06:19:36 AM »

Most of the post's here relate to features that are advertised but are not working correctly.  Whether or not it is an issue with the NAS or their PC I cannot answer, but assuming it is the NAS, then the claims/posts are legitimate.

Yes, there are some bugs - most consumer electronics of this nature do (media streamers, NAS boxes, TVs, even cars - you name it)

A lot of posts are a restult of not RTFM, from incompatible or hard drive issues, internal network issues - or from people not fully understanding what the NAS does or what they are doing. Then there's those that have complicated the setup by using fun_plug. And this is the place for those people so we can help them, but it doesn't make the box c**p. It's just like Amazon reviews who mark a product down because the delivery was slow.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 05:40:06 AM »

I'm not totally happy with all the features and functionality of the DNS-323, but I have to go with Jamie here.  What product can you name that does everything exactly as you would want it to and has no problems with any of it's functionality?
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16