• April 16, 2024, 02:07:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Motion Detection Recording  (Read 3609 times)

Chipp

• Level 1 Member
Motion Detection Recording
« on: December 26, 2013, 03:24:29 AM »

I am new to the D-Link IP camera system and want to setup my DCS-942L in such a way that it records on a harddisk drive only the events triggered by motion detection.  This function works fine with a micro SD card installed.  But I don't want to use the card.  I want to record every movement on a harddisk 24/7 and, at the same time, save some harddisk space by the use of motion detection.  I don't know how to set it up as it currently continuously records everything round the clock (with or without motion)  Is what I try to do an available feature or does it only work with an installed SD card?

belvedere

Re: Motion Detection Recording
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

It is possible.  There are at least two ways to go about this:

• Set up an FTP server on the recording computer.  Access the camera's built-in web server and choose "Video clip," and set it to trigger on motion.  Select FTP as the target type and enter the information (IP address, user/password) for your recording PC's FTP server.  The clips will be limited to 10 seconds because that's all the camera allows.
  • Use third-party monitoring software such as Blue Iris to access the camera's video stream from the PC and use the monitoring software to decide when to record.

The second method is more flexible but will cost more to set up.

Chipp

• Level 1 Member
Re: Motion Detection Recording
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »

Thank you for your suggestions.  With the flexibility that I need, I'll probably resort to the second option.  But the FTP server is worth a try, just for learning.  Thanks again.