• April 19, 2024, 12:27:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Alternative sought for D-ViewCam 3.0  (Read 9056 times)

azz710

• Level 2 Member
Alternative sought for D-ViewCam 3.0
« on: August 07, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »

Folks,

I am very disappointed with D-ViewCam 3.0.  I can't even get beyond the fact that the minimize button doesn't work and navigating away from it is a multi-step process.  I contacted D-Link tech. support and was told, by someone in Taipei who clearly didn't understand English well and spoke English even less well that she wouldn't take a bug report and that I should use some other product.  When I asked what to use, she hung-up.

So, can anyone who's using another program to view and record from a D-Link IP camera, specifically the DCS-6620G, recommend another software package?  Thanks in advance!

Jeff Broido
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:01:35 AM by azz710 »

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
Re: Alternative sought for D-ViewCam 3.0
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:09 PM »

The minimize button in the bottom left works fine with me, what is the symptom of the failing minimize?

Is the main console not minimizing, or is it the playback function? For the main console you can set some options, like minimizing into the system-tray...

What version of Windows are you running (XP/Vista/W7), 32-/64-bit, and have you tried 3.01?

azz710

• Level 2 Member
Re: Alternative sought for D-ViewCam 3.0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:06:49 AM »

Mackerel,

Thanks for responding!  I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.  It's the main console I refer to and nothing happens when I click the minimize button aside from the tool tip opening.  It's also quite difficult to navigate away from the app as my taskbar won't pop-up when it has the focus, alt-tab doesn't work, etc.  I must ctrl-esc to pop-up the taskbar, shift-right-click on the D-ViewCam and minimize it from the context menu.  I didn't know that 3.01 was available; I'll try it, now, assuming I can find it, and report back.

Jeff Broido

azz710

• Level 2 Member
Re: Alternative sought for D-ViewCam, any version!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:57:28 AM »

Dear Mackerel,

OK, I found 3.0.1 on D-Link's Taiwanese site.  This helped not at all, alas, as the minimize button still doesn't work, the app. sat there like a lox, displaying a couple of frames a second out of thirty and freezing, and was unresponsive for about two minutes before clicking the mouse on anything on the screen had any effect.  Using IE 8 and the ActiveX control displays the full thirty frames a second, as does IP Surveillance 3.x, which works rather well, indeed.  I believe I'll just use this alternative program and give up on D-ViewCam, for it's obviously not going to get better anytime soon.

Does anyone have any idea why D-Link IP Surveillance doesn't show-up on the list of applications for the DCS-6620G?  Thanks for your help!

Jeff Broido