• April 18, 2024, 07:02:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cannot Map drives DNS-323  (Read 31198 times)

littlecooldude

• Level 1 Member
Cannot Map drives DNS-323
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »

Hi Guys,

I've been searching for months to get this resloved.  I've replaced the NAS, i've bought HDD's that are in the support list to be sure.

Still i get 1 of 3 errors.  The Network drive is not found. or it says the network resource Actively refuses the connection, or You do not have permission to access this drive (or resource).

What I've done - I've tried the EasySearch Utility. I've tried to map it with Windows, using the NAS Name and the IP Address.  Its set to static and i've also changed the IP Address.  I've reformatted the drives serveral times, I've restored the default config, i've reflashed the unit. Sometimes it works, but then 2 mins later its not accessable. This happens on all 3 computers on my network, wired or wireless.

I can always access the DNS-323 GUI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
Re: Cannot Map drives DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:11:21 AM »

Please provide some more information about your network setup.  Do you have a router/switch?  Is there DHCP? Are you using different subnets? Firewalls?

Regards,

Wiggs,

Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

littlecooldude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »

Standard Router, my PC is windows 7 Pro, The PC's are set to DHCP and the NAS has a static IP.  I know enough to use the same subnet as the network or else it wont be accessable.  Firewall and antivirus is disabled on my PC during testing to rule those out.

I can also Ping the NAS and access the GUI from Firefox at all times when I can't access the drive though windows.  The DNS-323 also doesn't show up in as the network computers where my wifes laptop is visable.

This is the 2nd DNS323 that i have bought as Tech Support here told me my first one was defective and out of warranty.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »

I assume you are clicking on the Network tree when looking for the drive?

Also, if you have mapped the drive have you gone to the MANAGE drive in MYCOMPUTER to make sure the drive letter isnt being used somewhere else?

If easysearch is working try different drive letter?
DNS-323  2x1.5TB Seagate Drives Separate Volumes
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
Various computers and hardware, Win xp, Win 7,
1.07 firmware

littlecooldude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »

I try a different drive letter everytime. You are correct, sometimes it shows in the network tree and sometimes its not. I get a network not available error when it is shown in the tree. 

I can't map it through windows using the IP or the Device name and the Easysearch Utility.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:11:40 PM by littlecooldude »

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »

I am not 100% sure, but it sounds like there might be a conflict somewhere on your network or router settings are off.

Try disconnecting all devices and put router beside the computer with the NAS attached?

Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

littlecooldude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:10:02 AM »

Ok i'll try that, I really dont think its a network conflict. I've tried different IP address each time and I have a DNS Lease of 1 month on my router.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »

The router will have a range of IP address' it can use, i would double check that to make sure enought were available to assign to devices.

If that isnt working then there may be ports that need to be opened or other fine tune settings that I am not aware of how to do.

You model # of router should be posted to this thread

thanks
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

littlecooldude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

I'll post that tonight.  Why would ports need to be forwarded for drive mapping? on a LAN? its not hitting any firewall at all.  its an SMC Router provided by ISP.

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:22 AM »

Master browser issue?  http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=16493.msg94504#msg94504

Regards,

Wigggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

littlecooldude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:14:09 AM »

Thanks for the point in that direction, dont think its that since I can't map using the IP Address either.

Man this is annoying  ???

ericj

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »

Check your network settings on the NAS. The DNS-323 defaults to allowing ALL to the default directories it creates. If you added any users or groups or changed permissions on any of your newly created directories then you could run into problems like what you're experiencing.

I personally have also found that some add-ons (didn't bother narrowing it down...) may cause the NAS to disconnect from the network or slow network performance to unusable levels. So, to that end, I have removed all add-ons, reset to factory defaults and no issues since.

littlecooldude

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »

Can you explain new directories? All I did was create folders under the \Volume_1  - I didn't create any new users or usergroups.  Should I?

Again anytime i try to map i just get Network name/resource/whatever cannot be found please check that you have the right blah blah blah.  This happens when using IP address or the DNS-323 default Name with MAC Address.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:16:14 PM by littlecooldude »

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 06:08:54 AM »

If you cannot see the folder in the network drive then you wont be  able to map the drives.

I had a problem on the weekend and was unable to map the drive  but could see it.  A reboot fixed that.

So if you cannot see the network directory then there must be more of a problem with the router handling the device properly and if you are 100% certain there are no IP conflicts there must be  a router problem.

I think the IP conflict is the reason you cannot see it but you said thats not the case already.

I dont know enough about router settings to see how that might be blocking the device. Sorry
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:28 AM »

There is a chance that you haven't assigned a correct static IP to the nas. Some routers have their dhcp set up in such a way that only IPs within a range are acceptable for static usage. For example, my router works with IPs in the range 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.254. So, if I assign 192.168.1.12 to the nas then it is not going to work smoothly.

Besides that and in case the above is not your issue, I believe it is a windows 7 security problem and not a nas problem.

First of all, the EasySearch utility is not windows 7 compatible. Always run it with administrative rigths and in Windows XP compatibility mode (try it now).

Second, check if you have any weird jumbo frame settings in your ethernet card. This has caused me trouble before. If so, disable jumbo frames and test.

Third, check your windows 7 advanced network settings. Make sure network discovery is on etc.

Last but not least: I remember I had this situation once. As a solution I run a device-driver-like setup that is in the DNS-323 dvd. It installed something like a device driver... anyways, after that both the nas volumes were listed in my windows 7 and I could map them to drive letters again.

Pages: [1] 2 3