• March 28, 2024, 02:47:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Active Sessions  (Read 29191 times)

bogey

Active Sessions
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »

Is there a way to clear the active sessions? I've tried unplugging the router and also restarting my pc, it still shows active sessions from my bit torrent client that isn't running.

I don't see an option on the router page that would clear it.

funchords

• Level 3 Member
Re: Active Sessions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »

Is there a way to clear the active sessions? I've tried unplugging the router and also restarting my pc, it still shows active sessions from my bit torrent client that isn't running.

I don't see an option on the router page that would clear it.
This is caused by "P2P afterglow" -- other peers in your former swarm still have your IP address and will keep trying to connect for a few hours.    To avoid sessions from being created by afterglow, you'll have to close or change your open port. 

Alexandreg

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »

I don't understand what you say... If you unplug the router, the sessions list will be cleared... And if some remote host want to try to connect to your computer again, the router should drop it because it is no longer part of an active connection...

Now, the computer may be running a p2p app or service that open connections as soon as the pc is turned on.,..

DeltaQ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:50:21 AM »

This is caused by "P2P afterglow" -- other peers in your former swarm still have your IP address and will keep trying to connect for a few hours.    To avoid sessions from being created by afterglow, you'll have to close or change your open port. 

Perfect!!! 

Now, it's time to learn about scheduling with application rules... 
I'm hoping that will shut out farwarded port requests during specific hours ?

DeltaQ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:11:36 PM »

Perfect!!! 

Now, it's time to learn about scheduling with application rules... 
I'm hoping that will shut out farwarded port requests during specific hours ?

What I've found...  (Moderators/D-Link please see last paragraph(s))

Note: that the bottle neck (for P2P/torrents) is the page size of the active connections.  I've seen on TOM'S that the EBR-2310 has an active connection count of 32.  (Active connections get swapped in and out VERY rapidly, so that number (32 slots) can act large.

Both the Port Farwarding and Application Rules allow schedules.  I'm testing them at the same time, So I don't know if they both work individually (I imagine, as it's only the scheduler that is in charge).

I've set it (the Router) up so that I only Torrent (uTorrent) on a forwarded port between 11pm & 6am. 

I've also scheduled uTorrent to throttle WAY back during off hours, and allowing it to go full blast from 11mp-6am.  Even though my P2P client (uTorrent) can't use port farwarding, TCP still works via http.
So, at least something is getting done until it (farwarding) gets allowed by the router.

Throttling back active torrents, and connections per torrent (torrent client side) and disallowing port farwarding (via Router) solves the 'active connection' issue with the router, and allows pretty good WAN access for my other three PCs during peek (daytime) hours.

The Connection Queue is MUCH larger, but STILL a bottle neck.

(The connection Queue is full of messages [packets] in limbo,  they are: either wanaby connections or connection packets that are marked for death.)

Looking at the Connection 'Queue' (Viewed Via 'active connections' [misnomer?] of status screen), I've noticed that whenever my torrent client (uTorrent) starts, it broadcasts my farwarded port (sends out on the farwarded port, saying 'I'm Here')... REGARDLESS if the modem has it blocked via the scheduler.  I assume that message never gets out when the scheduler says not to... and, I never get any replies, so it must. 

ALSO... that 'I'm here' message sits in the router's connect queue waiting to be discarded for the 300 seconds (5 Min.).  when I set active torrent's in uTorrent (the client) to 600 (as it was), the connect queue would be flooded to overflowing; thus, halting any other Internet activity.

uTorrent will also RE-broadcast the farwarded port to any new swarm member (local seed/peer) coming on the scene.  The Connection Queue seemes almost always topped/tapped out.  (I don't know it's size!... anyone?)

All of these 'I'm here' message/packets are 'marked for death'... but they hang around in the connection queue for an alloted time slowly waiting to expire... in the hot confines of our router (wishing, if only I had a life).

So... the bottle necks are the router's Active Connection Max (32), and the Connection Queue (xxx?).

What to Do...

uTorrent MUST broadcast the "I'm here" message, or else port farwarding will NEVER work (P2P clients can't know that port farwarding has been turned of or disabled, AND NEVER SHOULD). 

The only other thing I can think of... aside from spending hundreds on a new router/network system/setup...  is to limit the amount of time that dying packets hang around in the Queue.  (I think this is an OS setting...  Not the router's.)

Here's the rub... With this OS setting, ALL connections are effected.  Anything in the 'active connections' box will be removed that much sooner.  Also, packets in the queue that are NOT slated for death will also be removed with just as much speed.  (I believe 'active' connections are bumped to the queue in favor of the highest/oldest queued priority item.  [once bumped out of active, I don't know what the new queued priority is...?])

I will (for those interested) post the registry key to set the connect timeout, when/if I find it. 
(This is not the same thing as - how long it takes IE of Firefox to say that a site timedout..)

NOTE TO ALL & D-Link
THE SMART THING IS TO HAVE A FIRMWARE UPDATE... to have the router toss those 'waiting to die'/blocked packets away... as soon as possible.  There is no reason for them. They will NEVER come back alive.  If, someone squeals about not having info of 'slated for death' packets, have a timeout entry the application & port farwarding setups, or even a few second note in the 'Active Connections' is better than them hanging around for the alloted (default 5 minutes) kill time.  (As 'Active Connections' is not a dynamic screen.)
THIS IS SOO EASY TO DO, and Increases your product performance considerably (exponential for P2P users)!  With the BEFSR41 v3 now dead, you'd have the best low end router for P2P, EVER!!  (It was the best, they missed the boat on v4.xx... why I now have this D-Link.)

I REALLY like this router's performance and capabilities (aside from it's P2P shortfalls, which described mod may help, at least in part).  The Setup options/capabilities are FAR superior to the Linksys probably even the BEFSX41, at a fraction of the cost.  (My BEFSR41 v3 fried during a power short, I replaced with a BEFSR41 v4.3... It was trouble within half an hour...  I returned it... Bought this EBR-2310... pocketed $16 and am content... not happy... content that it's the best a few $ will buy...  and hopeful that there's a new update coming soon ;-)

The reason I can think of NOT to do this is that you want P2P to stop, and that you're getting a kickback.

The best way to do that is a NEW FIRMWARE UPGRADE...  That includes this feature...  (I hope Someone is listening  ;-)).

fribie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 03:43:47 PM »

Thank you very much, DeltaQ. Now is March 2010 and the problem is here still. Does nobody from D-LINK read this forum?
Thanks.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »

I think you cannot expect a low-cost, personal use, router to perform like the professional devices. I know, it would need a little enhancement, but still you are talking about an older and low-cost router.

If there would be enough feedback on these channels something is likely to happen, but don't hold your breath. You might also consider that P2P (Torrents of any kind) is in the grey area of what is legal and acceptable in the business world and therefore would not get the highest attention.

Just some thoughts, that would keep you from slamming D-Link. They do deliver some nice products, even if support is not as snappy for these (i.e. personal use and low-cost) types of products.

fribie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:50:44 AM »

D-Link 604 was low cost and it was very good. I had mine 7 years. Linksys, same price as 2310 works without drop connections (I don't know why) every five minutes. F

VooDooVonz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:46:19 AM »

OK I have the same issue but I do not use P2P, torrents, or software like that. Yet my active sessions is huge. I play a lot of online games but I looked up those IP's and none of them belong to any of the servers I play on. So why so many? I know if I reboot my speed test are a lot better for a while but as soon as my active sessions go back up my latency starts sucking. I use Zone Alarm and pretty much killed all outgoing and incoming except on pretty much the core applications.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 06:58:38 AM »

I presume the sessions are coming from something on your PC.

OK I have the same issue but I do not use P2P, torrents, or software like that. Yet my active sessions is huge. I play a lot of online games but I looked up those IP's and none of them belong to any of the servers I play on. So why so many? I know if I reboot my speed test are a lot better for a while but as soon as my active sessions go back up my latency starts sucking. I use Zone Alarm and pretty much killed all outgoing and incoming except on pretty much the core applications.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.