• March 28, 2024, 07:12:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Adding Disk 2 to DNS-343 formats Disk 1  (Read 36469 times)

chaseral

• Level 1 Member
Adding Disk 2 to DNS-343 formats Disk 1
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »

Hi,

Is there a proper documented way to add new disk to the DNS-343? I added a Disk 2 to my DNS-343 after I power down the unit. When I power it on, it detected the new disk and ask me to format. After that it rebooted and I found that my Disk 1 is formatted as well. Does anyone encounter this? I am running on 1.02 firmware.Is there a proper way to do it? I tried added the Disk 2 again while power up and it cannot detect.
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Adding Disk 2 to DNS-343 formats Disk 1
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »

Can you give more details on your type of disks? Since you only had one desk before it must have been in Standard mode.

The DNS-343 does not support hot swapping functionality so adding it while powered on will not work.

chaseral

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

Hi,

My Disk 1 is Western Digital 1TB and my Disk 2 is Western Digital 1.5TB and I am using them as standard disk. How should I insert the new Drive 2 without wiping out my data in Drive 1?

Jack-TBJ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »

Hallo,

are you using FunPlug on your DNS-343 ?

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=6426.0

-Jack

chaseral

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:49:10 PM »

Hi Jack,

I had funplug installed and that is exactly what happened to me. Thank you directing to the correct post. Thanks.

MikeR2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:56:21 AM »

I am not using FunPlug and encountered the same problems, and here's why I'm not convinced it causes the malfunction.

I had the same issue. The system was telling me it was going to format the newly added drive, but at the next page indicated it was starting with drive 1, my good drive with data on it.

I spoke to a tech at DLink who told me he'd run some tests. He went out and bought some drives (so he told me) to test that condition. He later came back with step-by-step instructions that would allow me to add and format a second drive. After I was done, following his instructions to the letter, I ended up with newly formatted Drive 1 AND Drive 2. Not impressive.

Not wanting to lose data again, I went out and bought 2 more drives. If I was going to go through this again, it was going to happen only once more. I figured I'd format them all and use them (non-RAID as intended) as I had planned and get more space as I do not need everything to be protected.

While I had the new drives, I did run some tests. I noticed that several times, the system asked me to format drive 1, and at other times, it did not, so that you can in fact, AT TIMES, remove a drive and replace it and format it without losing info on other drives.

The problem seems to me to be intermittent. I am running version 1.02A and have four idential 1.5 TB Seagate drives. I fear the day one of my drives fails! The only solution offered to me was to purchase another box and do a backup, which is why I bought the darn thing to begin with. A frustrating issue to say the least.

Mike

trackfan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »

Battling very same issue. Corrupted data due to EX2 quick format seems beyond DIY recovery. At this stage I am unsure how to add HDD to non-raid DNS-343. These gigantic drives are not easily backed up... 

Good Luck

beastn02

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 01:38:42 AM »

Just lost 2TB of files when adding a second drive. It said it was formatting newly added drive, but instead it formatted both. Very frustrating! anyone have any suggestions on good ext3 file recovery software for windows or mac ???

chaseral

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:26:13 AM »

Is this a bug in the code or it this suppose to be the way it work? How come no Dlink tech had given any advise on this yet?

I had tried another way by removing my HDD1 and leaving my HDD2 and newly inserted HDD3. HDD3 formatted ok and did not ask to format HDD2. But when I plug in HDD1, it keep detecting that it is a new HDD and ask me to format. I had to press skip everytime I log into the control page. I tried all sorts of slots position and it still does not work. This is so annoying!!! :-[ :-[

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »

Are you still running the fun plug? Have you loaded 1.03 FW yet?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

brankwan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »

Hi,

I had loaded 1.03FW and deleted funplug from the system. However it still detect that HDD1 as a new HDD and keep asking me to format. I had to press skip everytime I log into the configuration page.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »

After you hit skip does the volume work properly to access data?

xatus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 04:13:12 PM »

Hi!

I had the same problem with formatting new disks with ffp installed, but i find the way how to fix it.
I have 4 HDDs not in raid.

When you need to add new HDD to NAS, you can use this step-by-step solution:
0. You need ffp plug installed;
1. Take out all HDDs from NAS;
2. Insert new HDD into drive bay 1;
3. Boot NAS, login into web admin site and format HDD;
4. Take out new HDD and insert old HDDs into their bays (disk with ffp installed must be in 1-st bay), then insert new HDD into free bay;
5. Boot NAS and login into it using ssh or telnet;
6. Run  hd_verify. In output search for mtd_smagic value (something like 079e9865cf36a576c91......). Write it out somewhere. Also you need write out serials of all HDDs (in the begining of output of hd_verify). Write out serials in pairs: sda - serial, sdb - serial, etc.
7. Go into /mnt/HD_a4, there is file with name starting with dot, something like .x37c9E.
Structure of this file looks like:
magic: 079e9865cf36a576c91.............
mac: <mac address of nas>
node: sda
p2: NORMAL * <hdd serial1> * <hdd serial2> * <hdd serial3>

I have 4 HDD installed, so there is 3 serials. If you have less HDD, you'll get less serials (qty of HDDs - 1)

You need edit this file next way:
a) replace old magic with new one;
b) replace <hdd serials> with serials of all disks, except serial of current disk(in this case sda).
i.e.:
p2: NORMAL * <hdd serial1(sdb)> * <hdd serial2(sdc)> * <hdd serial3(sdd)>

8. Repeat step 7 for the same file on another disks (/mnt/HD_b4, c4, d4).
9. I'm not sure it's necessary, but in last step I execute write_hdverify.
10. Reboot NAS or simply mount all unmounted disks (mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/HD_a2, sdb2 -> HD_b2, etc.)
11. Check result of hd_verify.

That's all. Quite easy :)

chaseral

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 01:56:36 AM »

Hi ECF,

After I skip the format on the login page, I am able to access the data on my HDD1 as usual but it will prompt me everytime I log in.

Thanks for the update Xatus, I will try the steps you mentioned.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »

Have you tried resetting the unit to factory defaults?
Pages: [1] 2 3