• April 24, 2024, 03:30:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless Performance Question  (Read 4763 times)

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
Wireless Performance Question
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

All,

How does the DIR-855 multiplex the two N bands? I'm not talking different channels, but the different frequencies.

In other words, does it do 2.4, then 5, then 2.4, then 5, etc.? Or does it simultaneously send out the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz frequencies? How does it channel bond? Is the radio then sending out 4 channels (two for 2.4 and two for 5) simultaneously or interplexed? If interplexed, what is the sequence?

I ask because I'm curious if the range would increase for the 5 GHz if the 2.4 GHz was turned off and delegated to another router, say the DIR-655.

Any ideas? I used to have a DGL-4500 gaming router and boy did that have range, even through metal wall studs. I used to get screaming performance and range with that router where as now I barely get any signal or range LOS a couple dozen feet away in a wooden townhouse with the DIR-855. Just trying to figure out what I can do to increase signals. 2.4 GHz range and signal, by the way, is almost perfect and as one would expect.

For reference, if I slowly bring my laptop on 5 GHz closer and closer to the DIR-855, I don't ever get above 80% signal strength. Even 6" away, and changing the transmit power, I never get above 80%.

Thanks all.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Wireless Performance Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »

There is no frequency multiplexing. But the unit is able to channel bond within it's own frequency, 3 channels at once.

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
Re: Wireless Performance Question
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:06 AM »

So this means that it's sending out 6 different frequencies at once?

Would removing one of the bands, like the 2.4 GHz, increase SNRs or performance for the other band, like 5 GHz?