• April 19, 2024, 09:19:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to connect iMac to DNS-323 via gigabit switch?  (Read 3096 times)

buttster

• Level 1 Member
How to connect iMac to DNS-323 via gigabit switch?
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »

I read through the forums and usually find help through someones question but today I am unable to find a suitable post.

I have two DNS-323 boxes that were previously on my router.  My router is slow so now I have added them to a gigabit switch while my iMac is using wifi to connect to router for internet.

So now the switch has the two dns-323 and the iMac plugged in it via ethernet cables.

My internet through wifi is working fine.

Now how do i configure dns-323 to work via ethernet as well?

If i go into settings and then network and then ethernet, I can manually assign an ip.  But now how do I get to the nas boxes to add static ip’s as well.
Since nas boxes are not configured, I don’t know how to get to the settings to change the ip to static.  I really appreciate any help and ideas.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: How to connect iMac to DNS-323 via gigabit switch?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:07 AM »

One line answer - plug them in.

Assuming your network was correctly set up and functional, you can unplug the NAS from the router, connect them to a switch, connect the switch to the router, and everything will work just as they did before, no changes of address required.

You may (it's not clear) be attempting to have the iMac on two separate networks - one WiFi to the internet, the other, wired to the NAS - I can't imagine any reason why you would want to do it that way, so, if that is what you're doing - unless you have a very good reason - just connect the switch to the router and make your life easy.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

buttster

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:29:57 AM »

I was trying the second way (imac on two networks) just to ensure that traffic does not route through the old router.  It dosnt matter because switch should be smart enough?

When I stream any videos from the dns-323, they lag and buffer from time to time so I am not sure how to resolve it.

I just trying to connect switch to router and everything now works but performance has not improved.  When I transfer files to DNS-323 I get 7 megabytes per second, is that normal?

Thank you fordem.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:50:52 AM »

As strange as this may sound, LAN traffic, meaning traffic between two devices on the local area network, never passes through the router - even without a switch.

You may think of the router as a single device, but, consumer routers are actually as many as three devices in a single casing - a router, a switch, and a wireless access point - and the only time traffic passes through the router is if it's moving to/from the internet.

With regard transfer speeds - the discussion cannot be had in isolation - files are transferred from one device to another and over a connection, the file transfer will be as fast as the slowest of these three - you've described one, so there's no way to know if it's normal - I will tell you this though, the DNS-323 is no speedster, there are probably more complaints about slow transfer speeds than any other problem.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.