• April 24, 2024, 04:47:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 - Max HD size - Time To Move On??  (Read 8263 times)

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
DNS-323 - Max HD size - Time To Move On??
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »

My DNS-323 has served me well for many years - I think I've had it for 5 or 6 now??

Anyway, it looks like the max HD size is 2TB. Is that correct? I'm looking to upgrade HD space (currently 2 500 GB drives), and deciding upon updating the drives in this, or possibly going with a different NAS. I guess going from 500GB to 2TB is a pretty nice jump :)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS-323 - Max HD size - Time To Move On??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:33:41 AM »

Take a look at the features on the new units - my DNS-323, which I've owned since they were released in 2006, failed earlier this year - newer units come with more processing power, more RAM, more flash and that gives you the ability to do more.

Even though my DNS-323 did pretty much everything I asked of it (sit in a corner and backup the critical data on my SOHO server), it was missing a couple of essential features, like the ability to shut itself down under UPS command (yes, I know it was added, but it never worked properly), and the ability to restart itself when power was restored.

Take a look around and then make your choice.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 04:55:18 AM »

The DNS-323 supports up to 2TB HDDs. Newer D-Link ShareCenter models support 4TB HDDs. D-Link's consumer NAS series consists of three different product lines:

• DNS-345 (Legacy models: DNS-343) [4-bay]
  • DNS-327L (Legacy models: DNS-325, DNS-323) [2-bay, better processor and support for add-on apps]
  • DNS-320L (Legacy models: DNS-320, DNS-321) [2-bay]
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:28 AM »

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at some of the new DLink models - unless you have recommendations about other manufacturers :)

Something similar to the DLink is all I really need - I think. And I liked the ability to do other things via fun_plug. I had a web server and ftp server setup on it. I also setup an rsync job that would copy data over to Volume 2 on a nightly basis. I tried using Twonky on it at one time, but ended up using the primary home machine and other media server software to stream video and music to my television.

Some data I have migrated over to SkyDrive, particularly work data. My laptop is my primary work machine and I work mobily across the US. I have a subscription to Office 365 for my work. With that comes a large amount of SkyDrive space - 25GB.

Any new NAS device today would serve to backup personal info only, photos, music, and video. Although I think I will also keep a copy of my photos in sync with Google Drive. I like the ability for it to keep photos in sync with Google+, and Google+ seems to have this cool new feature of generating "Awesome" content based on your photos and videos.

I guess I will have to shop around this holiday season :)

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 07:38:35 AM »

Feel free to look around on the forum boards for the other models I've listed.  If you're interested in a particular model, post some questions for other owners to see how the device stacks up to your needs.  ;)

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »

Feel free to look around on the forum boards for the other models I've listed.  If you're interested in a particular model, post some questions for other owners to see how the device stacks up to your needs.  ;)

Thanks. I've been trying to go to Dlink's website this morning and all it does is hang. I can't get to the product pages :(

Service unavailable

HTTP Error 503

Sigh ...

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »

The US website has been experiencing issues for the past 3 days.  Wait a while and try again, as the site seems to be intermittently up/down.

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »

The DNS-323 supports up to 2TB HDDs. Newer D-Link ShareCenter models support 4TB HDDs. D-Link's consumer NAS series consists of three different product lines:

• DNS-345 (Legacy models: DNS-343) [4-bay]
  • DNS-327L (Legacy models: DNS-325, DNS-323) [2-bay, better processor and support for add-on apps]
  • DNS-320L (Legacy models: DNS-320, DNS-321) [2-bay]

Thanks. A quick glance leads me to rule out the 345 and 320. How does the 327 compare to the 325? Is the difference with the mobile apps? Unfortunately, the compare feature on the site is not good - it really doesn't show much.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:19:09 PM »

For a good description of the DNS-327L, you can read a comprehensive review at the following link, which also includes performance metrics and comparisons to other brand consumer NAS (including the DNS-345): DNS-327L Review.

Off the top of my head, the DNS-327L is a Cloud device and is supported by mydlink, which the DNS-325 is not. The processor is better and should provide improved performance over the DNS-325.  App support and options should also be improved. Based on my own observations of the evolution of the D-Link ShareCenter line, although there are firmware updates throughout each product's lifecycle, there's a general improvement in the firmware functionality and stability as you move to newer generation NAS, especially when it comes to apps and media support.  As a final note, the DNS-327L is brand new (the forum board was created just a few weeks ago) while the DNS-325 is a couple of years old.  I haven't personally used the DNS-327L, so I can only offer these general observations. I do own two DNS-343 which perform similarly to the DNS-323; and two DNS-345, which perform similarly to the DNS-325. The DNS-345 is a world better than the DNS-343 (and DNS-323), so I can only assume the DNS-327L is a further improvement.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:29:37 PM by JavaLawyer »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 03:47:03 AM »

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

SmallNetBuilder is the site I use for consumer NAS reviews.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:51:30 AM »

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

SmallNetBuilder is the site I use for consumer NAS reviews.

SmallNetBuilder is an awesome site, but they seldom review D-Link consumer NAS products. As far as D-LInk product reviews are concerned, SmallNetBuilder historically provides good coverage of D-Link routers.