• April 27, 2024, 08:42:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Question about D-ViewCam  (Read 2969 times)

beldar

• Level 1 Member
Question about D-ViewCam
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »

On PC A, I configured a DCS-932L camera using the cd that came with it.  Then I installed the D-ViewCam software on PC A.  So far, so good.  Can I also install the D-ViewCam software on another PC, PC B?  If so, would I need to configure the camera first on PC B (just like I did on PC A)?  Thanx.

euphoria

• Level 1 Member
Re: Question about D-ViewCam
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:57:02 AM »

No, you don't need to setup the camera one more time.
Just install the software on PC B and connect to your camera.

Mackerel

• Level 3 Member
Re: Question about D-ViewCam
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »

There are two way to view/record camera data on two computers.

One:
The simplest way is to install/record on one machine and activate remote playback service on that machine. This way you can look at recorded data on the other machine via Playback (no need to install the full suite then on the second machine, only playback needed).
Advantages: recordings are only stored once and can be viewed/exported/saved as video/image everywhere on the LAN, setup is simple, only one place for camera config
Disadvantages: during remote playback you will need higher bandwidth on the LAN as you will pull all video over the same LAN, original machine has heavier load as it needs to record and service remote playback. When original machine fails for any reason, recording will not be done

Two:
Install full suite on both, configure camera(s) on both (required when 'local' viewing/recording takes place) and record video on both.
Advantages: Failsafe method for recording, viewing can be done independently on both computers, scheduling and/or record-on-motion can be set independently
Disadvantages: High LAN bandwidth required at all times because of double stream, double storage required.

Three:
You do know that you can view camera's live on your LAN via HTML code? If you need to record, and have a second machine just look at the live feed, you do not need DViewCam installed on more than one box. But then you will not be able to do remote playback on second computer. But there is a simple Java-script embedded HTML code (multiple places in this forum) that will allow you to do a live view of one or more cameras.

Note: Wireless throughput feed is much lower than wired. Just a remark...