• April 16, 2024, 01:23:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-628 slow upload access speeds  (Read 6350 times)

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
DIR-628 slow upload access speeds
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:18:52 AM »

I am experiencing a huge 7 Meg DSL service slowdown.  Since March 12, 2009, several emails will not be sent and these usually have attachments of 100 Kb or greater.  These usually worked before and I have checked the PCs that are affected this.  Turns out that during OE sending of these emails, it times out in locating the sending SMTP server.  I then spent time checking the access speed (via www.speedtest.net and www.dslreports.com) and found that the speed tend to report:

Download :                          5127Kbp/s
Upload (Speedtest):                 21 Kbp/s or less
Upload (DSLReports)                   5 Kbp/s or less

I am currently using a DIR-628 A2 with 1.13 firmware.  I did the 1.13 firmware update prior to going to 1.13 and I turned off SecureSpot in the router.  I never signed up.

Now my questions:

1) Would Securespot still be affecting my access?

2) Is Securespot included in the DIR-628 "free?"

3) Must I sign up with Securespot?

4)  Router came with firmware 1.11.  I checked the firmwares and noticed that 1.12 was the only version at delivered 1.12.  If I went to 1.13 directly, Securespot was not installed.   

5) I have also noticed that the regional firmware update (1.13 Canadian) will remove Securespot every time.

arod

Re: DIR-628 slow upload access speeds
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »

1. No, If you disable it from your router you should be good to go.

2. In the latest firmware yes and only as a trial

3. No, again you can disable this feature in the routers UI

4. Correct, Securespot is enabled once you upgrade the firmware and you will be directed to a securespot site first when you open a browser. Again, you can disable this feature in the router or you can sign up.

5. I don't have a clue on what Canada does on there side as far as firmware. If you're from there feel free to use the firmware otherwise I wouldn't suggest it.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »

I was having serious upload access speeds with my DSL service.  After two weeks of "nagging" my ISP, turned out the problem seemed to be "with them."  However, they were blaming me and my hardware.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »

What did they do to resolve it?

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »

As with these "large" monolithic ISP (especially in Canada) they will not state any fixes that occur within their COs.  I do not know what they did.