• March 28, 2024, 06:13:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some laptops will not connect to router. Will connect after a reboot of router.  (Read 20049 times)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Either one. I like the UI for easier access. If you can't access the UI, then use the reset button.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Blueyed1

• Level 2 Member

The reset and manual setting all settings again, not using loaded setting, seams to have helped for now.
/Blueyed1

Yes, its at pain, also it does makes the "Save Settings To Local Hard Drive" useless, if you cant use the saved settings.
I can give the router one more try, as you say, otherwise, I may abandon it for the Synology RT2600ac. The Dlink 890L keeps disappointing me.

I'll test with factory reset.

/Blueyed1

I recommend doing a factory reset then set up from scratch. There maybe too many differences between v1.11 and v1.20 that may cause issues with loading of older config files. I know its a pain however it's best to set up from scratch then do a new save for v1.20 level.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Good to hear.  ;)
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Any status on this?

???

I just now updated to the newest firmware 1.20.
I will check to see if that helps any. If not I will get the wireless cards model # etc.

Laptops are still doing it almost every morning or when not used for several hours then someone gets on and no connection until reboot.
I even tried setting a laptop to not go to sleep just the monitor and did not help.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

Any status on this?

???

I just now updated to the newest firmware 1.20.
I will check to see if that helps any. If not I will get the wireless cards model # etc.

Laptops are still doing it almost every morning or when not used for several hours then someone gets on and no connection until reboot.
I even tried setting a laptop to not go to sleep just the monitor and did not help.

Here are the main two laptops wireless card model #'s that are causing a problem with the router.

Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565
Qualcomm Atheros AR9485

Nothing helped with the firmware update etc.

Have turned off power management etc. I also took 1 laptop had only the display turn off after 10 minutes and kept all power on and to not turn off. After over night the laptop was disconnected and would not reconnect even though it can see the router just fine.

As noted if i cycle the router it will reconnect with the devices.

I also tried other wireless drivers that did install and it did not change the issue.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

I'll see if I can get some more review on this...
Please be patient. Thank you.

Gattsu

• Technical Engineer
  • Level 3 Member

zeoph, do you have any other wireless devices? maybe a wireless extender or AP? Please power those off. Then reset the 890L to defaults and connect only one of the laptop on wireless using the default SSID. You can also disable smart connect and name each SSID differently and test each one with the laptop.

Let me know the results.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

zeoph, when you say it doesn't connect. Does that mean when you go to your wireless network list on the laptop, select the SSID of the router, enter the Wi-Fi password, iy wont connect? or it connects but then will drop connection after a while? Internet? When it drops can you ping other devices or the router?

Are you using the built-in Windows utility to connect or 3rd party?

Do all 2.4GHz devices drop around the same time or is it just these 2 laptops?

Are the laptops using DHCP or are they statically assigned?

Do you have any 3rd party "internet security" or network software running?

Will it drop connectivity during gaming/streaming/downloading, or is it only after being idle? or random?

Does it drop when other specific devices are on? Like if another device is streaming a movie or something? or is it completely random?

Is it in certain areas of your home? If you move the laptop to different locations does it still drop? or in a specific room?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:49:07 PM by GreenBay42 »

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

zeoph, do you have any other wireless devices? maybe a wireless extender or AP? Please power those off. Then reset the 890L to defaults and connect only one of the laptop on wireless using the default SSID. You can also disable smart connect and name each SSID differently and test each one with the laptop.

Let me know the results.

No other AP or routers in the house.

The device has been reset and connected with only the default ssid a few times. No change.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

zeoph, when you say it doesn't connect. Does that mean when you go to your wireless network list on the laptop, select the SSID of the router, enter the Wi-Fi password, iy wont connect? or it connects but then will drop connection after a while? Internet? When it drops can you ping other devices or the router?

Will it drop connectivity during gaming/streaming/downloading, or is it only after being idle? or random?

Does it drop when other specific devices are on? Like if another device is streaming a movie or something? or is it completely random?

Is it in certain areas of your home? If you move the laptop to different locations does it still drop? or in a specific room?

After sitting over night or for a long period of time. The laptops will not be connected to the network anymore and when you click to connect it just says not connected. Only way to get the laptop to connect is to cycle the router. Restarting the laptop, running trouble shooter on laptop, removing the router in the list and reconnecting does not help. Internet does not appear to drop while the PC is being used.

Using built in WIFI to connect.

2 laptops appear to lose connection every day. 1 other laptop has done it a couple times. All laptops are used every day. And it does appear to be the 2.4ghz as I have two 5ghz USB devices plugged into two desktops and I have never seen them drop connection ever. (Except for when I taught my two in-laws how to reboot the router when their laptops don't connect. Now it's everyday until it reboots.) :(   

No network software or 3rd party internet security and all using DHCP. PC's use windows defender. 

Drops after long idle. PC's on different ends of a large house. Usually when in-laws get up in mornings is when it is first noticed usually. FYI I have even had the router reboot at 5AM every morning. Did not help.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:04:03 PM by zeoph »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Can you disable smart Connect and then set single mode N on 2.4Ghz only and disable both 5Ghz radios. Manual channel 1, 6 or 11 depending if you have neighbors on any of those channels. 11 is preferred. Then test.
Then disable 2.4Ghz radio and use the Primary 5Ghz and set single mode N and test if your laptops support 5Ghz. Try any of the channels
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:11:27 PM by FurryNutz »

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

Are you running Windows 10 on your laptops?

https://www.webnots.com/fix-wifi-connection-issue-in-windows-10/

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/wifi-keeps-disconnecting-or-dropping-out-on-windows-10-solved/

When it drops, don't try to connect. Just open a web browser and see if you can get to the Internet. Also, go to start > type in CMD. At the prompt type ipconfig. see if you computer is getting an IP address (192.168.0.xxx unless you changed the router's LAN IP address). The default gateway should be the IP of fthe router (192.168.0.1).

This is a difficult issue to figure out what is happening. It's either environment, some weird incompatibility issues with the adapters and router, Windows issue, or the router is defective. If there is interference or your laptops are in a spot where it cannot communicate with the router it may explain it. Remember wireless is 2-way communication. It doesn't matter how strong the router signal is, if the adapters signal isn't strong enough or there is some interference near the laptops, the connection will not be good.  But the fact that the only way to regain connection is rebooting the router, not the laptops, is making this more difficult.

Does everything work good other than the dropping?

If both laptops are connecting at the same time, does 1 drop while the other works or do they drop around the same time? If all other devices that are connected to the 2.4GHz band drop around the same time then it definitely is a router issue.

Where is the router located? How are the antennas situated? What is around the router? What is in between the router and your laptops when they drop? Make sure there is at least 3 feet of air around the antennas.

1 or 2 story house?

Wireless is very sensitive. Fish tanks, appliances, bluetooth, wireless ceiling fans, mirrors, glass, etc can cause issues.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:05:37 AM by GreenBay42 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Any status on this?  ???

After sitting over night or for a long period of time. The laptops will not be connected to the network anymore and when you click to connect it just says not connected. Only way to get the laptop to connect is to cycle the router. Restarting the laptop, running trouble shooter on laptop, removing the router in the list and reconnecting does not help. Internet does not appear to drop while the PC is being used.

Using built in WIFI to connect.

2 laptops appear to lose connection every day. 1 other laptop has done it a couple times. All laptops are used every day. And it does appear to be the 2.4ghz as I have two 5ghz USB devices plugged into two desktops and I have never seen them drop connection ever. (Except for when I taught my two in-laws how to reboot the router when their laptops don't connect. Now it's everyday until it reboots.) :(   

No network software or 3rd party internet security and all using DHCP. PC's use windows defender. 

Drops after long idle. PC's on different ends of a large house. Usually when in-laws get up in mornings is when it is first noticed usually. FYI I have even had the router reboot at 5AM every morning. Did not help.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

Can you disable smart Connect and then set single mode N on 2.4Ghz only and disable both 5Ghz radios. Manual channel 1, 6 or 11 depending if you have neighbors on any of those channels. 11 is preferred. Then test.
Then disable 2.4Ghz radio and use the Primary 5Ghz and set single mode N and test if your laptops support 5Ghz. Try any of the channels

Apologize for getting back so late. Life got in the way.

Originally when I bought the router smart connect was on. It caused issues which tech support had me turn it off. It did seem to work better after that. I do not remember the actual problem. I believe it was a connectivity issue. This was like on day 1 of getting the router.

The problem does seem to related to the 2.4 ghz. I did what you asked me to do above. The network including the devices that were working correctly on 5ghz started to perform very badly. Same issue as the laptops. Not wanting to connect. Almost seemed more devices I connected onto the 2.4ghz the more they did not want to connect unless I rebooted the router.

I do not have neighbors close enough to affect wireless channels on my end. I did move channels around early on and it did not affect anything.

The laptops I have do not support 5ghz. Two desktops and two Pixel phones using 5gz have never been affected unless we use 2.4ghz.

Pretty much at my wits end here.

zeoph

• Level 1 Member

Are you running Windows 10 on your laptops?

https://www.webnots.com/fix-wifi-connection-issue-in-windows-10/

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/wifi-keeps-disconnecting-or-dropping-out-on-windows-10-solved/

When it drops, don't try to connect. Just open a web browser and see if you can get to the Internet. Also, go to start > type in CMD. At the prompt type ipconfig. see if you computer is getting an IP address (192.168.0.xxx unless you changed the router's LAN IP address). The default gateway should be the IP of fthe router (192.168.0.1).

This is a difficult issue to figure out what is happening. It's either environment, some weird incompatibility issues with the adapters and router, Windows issue, or the router is defective. If there is interference or your laptops are in a spot where it cannot communicate with the router it may explain it. Remember wireless is 2-way communication. It doesn't matter how strong the router signal is, if the adapters signal isn't strong enough or there is some interference near the laptops, the connection will not be good.  But the fact that the only way to regain connection is rebooting the router, not the laptops, is making this more difficult.

Does everything work good other than the dropping?

If both laptops are connecting at the same time, does 1 drop while the other works or do they drop around the same time? If all other devices that are connected to the 2.4GHz band drop around the same time then it definitely is a router issue.

Where is the router located? How are the antennas situated? What is around the router? What is in between the router and your laptops when they drop? Make sure there is at least 3 feet of air around the antennas.

1 or 2 story house?

Wireless is very sensitive. Fish tanks, appliances, bluetooth, wireless ceiling fans, mirrors, glass, etc can cause issues.

All laptops are running Windows 10. One of the laptops when used is like 6 feet from the router at all times. There is nothing in the way between the router and at least one laptop. A wall between the other.  House is a Tri level dwelling. All laptops affected are on the same level as the router.

Has there been an occurrence where only 1 laptop was affected and the rest were not. That is possible though most of the time no one on the 2.4gz can connect.

Laptops do not seem to drop connection when used. It is only after no one appears to use there laptops for a period of time then they cannot connect to the network as it shows disconnected.

Cannot connect to router or any internet in the browser when this is happening. When you hit connect it cycles like it is trying to connect then times out and says cannot connect. Laptops are different make and models with at the time new fresh load of Windows 10.

There is some network performance that has me scratching my head. I have seen the network run incredibly slow until I restarted the router. Then the performance for the rest of the day improves greatly. Laptops are generally running Facebook and browser for email. Nothing data intensive. The two desktops are running much more intensive data transfer between two pc's. Nothing huge just a networked program pulling field data from the server to my work station and some Youtube.   

As mentioned before I have restored the router to factory specs several times and updated firmware in exact steps as mentioned on here. No changes in performance.

I think there is something wrong with this router. My POC linksys I used to have ran better then this router has from day 1. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3