• April 26, 2024, 04:39:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS320 - root password  (Read 56141 times)

piloo

• Level 1 Member
DNS320 - root password
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:53:06 AM »

Hello  (sorry for my "poor" english")

Following the fun_plug installation, i disabled the telnet service and prefered le SSH service (more secure following the tutorial) 
Unfortunately, after the first reboot, it was impossible to log in with the root user because the password seems to be lost. (i'm sure it's the right passwd)
More, any ftp connection is impossible (unable to reach the server) and any SSH session (when it launch correctly) is waiting for the root user and .... his passwd !!!

My question?
- How the reset the root account?
- Does the reset to factory function reset all the system (OS inclusive)?
- Have i to backup all the data out of my RAID 1 (2x to) before to reset?

Fortunately, base functions are working good (UpnP server, links to the LAN when i'm using my multimedia system DENON CEOL)
I allways can to reach the admin interface via firefox

Thank's for your help - same questionon french dlink forum 2 days ago but ... NOTHING ;)

Have a nice day
Piloo

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS320 - root password
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:33:39 AM »

- How the reset the root account?
- Does the reset to factory function reset all the system (OS inclusive)?
- Have i to backup all the data out of my RAID 1 (2x to) before to reset?

If you forgot your password to the admin login (web interface) and need to reset the DNS-320 to the factory defaults, while powered-up, press and hold the "Reset Button" on the rear of the DNS-320 for > 5 seconds. This procedure will erase all previously saved settings on the unit.  Fortunately this process will not harm or change any data on your internal HDDs, , so a data backup is not necessary.

After your unit is restored, I strongly recommend saving your DNS-320 Configuration Settings to your local desktop. After you reset the unit, uploading the "Configuration Settings" file will quickly restore all your user settings. Here is a post describing how to save your configuration settings: Saving You DNS ShareCenter Configuration Settings
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:34:40 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Creo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 06:00:14 AM »

Reactivating telnet. If for some reason, sshd stops working or the root password is lost, the minimal fun_plug.tgz created by bq041 can re-enable password-less telnet: http://forum.dsmg600.info/p19176-Today-23%3A27%3A18.html#p19176
DNS-320 (1 Tb HDD)

piloo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 04:08:10 AM »

Hello - Thanks to JavaLawyer and Creo for their answers.

I had already found the minimal fun_plug.tgz and i copied in the NAS's root dir available via explorer : 

Volume_1 (DLINK-A69A0A (DNS-320)

However, it didn't work at all after the soft reboot via the interface.

- Is it the right place to put the script?
- Have i to proceed a hard reboot (like JavaLawyer explained it?)

Thank you so much for your help
Have a nice WE
Piloo

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »

- Have i to proceed a hard reboot (like JavaLawyer explained it?)

The reset to factory defaults will reset the "admin" password for the web interface and will purge the DNS-320 of all user settings. This approach is a last resort. I would investigate further first.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

piloo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:05:34 AM »

Hello

Tks for your answer.

The web interface allows to manage the Admin account and i have ot any trouble to do it.

Unforunatly, my problems seem to be at the OS level.

Do you have any answer about the way to do to launch the script you told about.

The simple copy of the file in the directory    _volume1 (root dir visible through the file explorer) does'nt work at the reboot.
Is it a difefrent way to run this kind of script?

Tks for your help for a newbie ;) and sorry for the mistakes !

Have a nice day

piloo

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »

Hi, #1 The reset button is actually a reset pin hole on the back of the unit between the power supply plug and the ethernet connection. With the power on, insert a paperclip and hold it in for more than 5+ seconds to reset the unit to factory defaults. #2 This should reset your user accounts and the admin password, I am not sure if it removes the ftp, upnp, etc options or not.  #3 It is not supposed to have any effect on the raid settings or the data on the drives and it did not for me, but backup is always a good idea especially if this is your only copy. 
Fun_plug is not officially supported but I came across some specific instructions somewhere on the net for installing on the DNS-320, sorry but I forget exactly where, WIKI perhaps.  Anyway, good luck.

piloo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »

Hello

The solution was very simple !

De-install fun_plug
Re install it and .... everything's OK, the root's account is available again.

Sorry  :-\

vidaz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:30:46 AM »

Hi;
I was installed the fun plug to the DNS 320 and I activate SSH and root user. Unfortunately I forgot the root password  >:(.
I tried to reset device "while powered-up, press and hold the "Reset Button" on the rear of the DNS-320 for > 5 seconds. " and it was successfull (I checked the configuration)
after I tried to conect via telnet but it is not worked  web site I could access admin but I can not access via telnet. So the reset can not resolved, do you have any idea how can I access telnet or how can i reset root password?