• March 29, 2024, 12:28:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HDDs disappear  (Read 3203 times)

hugodelugo

• Level 1 Member
HDDs disappear
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »

Hi,

One year ago, I bought a NAS DNS-325. I bought also one HDD WD Red WD30EFRX. I configured it, I started to work and everything was working fine for a year.

Two weeks ago I bought another HDD WD Red WD30EFRX to make RAID 1 with my data.
I follow every step on the product manual (ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns325/Manual/dns325_manual_100.zip) but it didn't work fine and at the end my HDDs have "disappeared".
I don't have a Volume_1 anymore and I can't access to my HDD (not to the old one, not to the new). When I check the HDD status, everything is fine but it is just that there's no HDDs anymore for my NAS.
I update the firmware (from 1.3 to 1.4.5), I reset my NAS to set the default configuration, I remove the new HDD, the old one and nothing. My NAS is now some kind of brick with a nice web interface and OS.

What can I do now? I really don't want to lose my information and I would like to use my NAS.

Thanks in advance

cable2

• Level 3 Member
Re: HDDs disappear
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »

Hi,
Try logging into your NAS and go to Management, System Status, System Info, and then open the tab for Volume Information.  Is there any sign that your data is still on the drive(s) i.e., has a large part of the disk used up?  If you can see a large amount of the disk used, it is possible your data is still there.  Getting to it is something else.  Anyway, hopefully you will find something still there.  If not and it reports the whole disk as available, that is not so good.  Why not just check and report back what you find or if you can access this information.  Good luck.

Howie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:58:36 AM »

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=54848.msg230015#msg230015

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 02:38:19 PM »

Hi again,
The post from Howie appears to be trying to suggest that possibly returning to the 1.03 firmware might solve your problem, which it might, but the way I read your post, you seemed to be saying your drives went missing before you upgraded your firmware.  In any case, a bit more clarification might be helpful.  But if you get no other clues, backing up your firmware to 1.03 might help.  Who knows.  Good luck

hugodelugo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

Hi,

Thank you both for your answers. I tried everything that I could without success. Finally, I took the HDD (the old one, with all the information) and I mounted it as external device in my computer (linux). I tried gparted, testdisk and some other partitions and recovery tools for HDDs and after 3 days, I understood that the partition table of this HDD and the allocation of space was really a mesh, so after check that I could recover almost all the information, I decided to format and start again.
So I did. I put inside again my two hard drives and I started again with the RAID 1 setup. So
management->hard drive configuration->Set RAID type and re-format->RAID 1->...
And... it didn't work. The NAS just ignored what I tried to configure and it setup two volumes. Get back to firmware 1.3 was just worst. Back to 1.4.5b and try again... until I remember something that I read in this forum some days ago: The NAS interface have no full support for chrome. And then I open firefox, and I saw that in the "hard drive configuration" process have some steps that chrome just didn't show.  So simple like that. With chrome the configuration was just not complete and that can only make problems. I complete the setup this time with firefox and finally, everything works fine now.
For me it is just a big surprise, just because I can expect that if there's no full support for a browser, some pages can be showed in an bizarre way or some labels even miss, but I could never wait that some steps of a wizard could be missed.

Anyway, after losing 2 TB of information, a lot of stress, a lot of hours of useless work, frustration and so on, I have just only one thing to say:
NEVER, EVER, MAKE A CONFIGURATION CHANGE ON A DNS-325  OVER THE WEB INTERFACE WITH CHROME.

Thank you again for your help.
Best regards