• March 29, 2024, 05:22:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Port Forwarding  (Read 2763 times)

flyingsuperhigh

• Level 1 Member
Port Forwarding
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up my own server which is running the latest version of ubuntu server. However, I am having trouble ssh'ing into my server using the public ip. After reading a quite a few threads in some forums, I've noticed that they all seem to suggest you have to open port 22 on your router. I'm not sure I did this right and would appreciate it if someone can assist me in opening port 22.

Here's what I did:
1.Went to the advance tab
2.Selected the port forwarding tab from the left menu
3.Under name I put a random name
4.Under tcp port to open, I entered 22
5.Under schedule, I selected always
6.Under IP address, I entered the LAN address of my server
7.Under udp port to open, I entered 22
8.Under inbound filter, I selected allow all

I would appreciate it  if someone can confirm if this is indeed the steps to opening up a port. I would also appreciate it it someone can offer solutions to my problem?

trmentry

• Level 1 Member
Re: Port Forwarding
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »

I did it a bit differently as I wanted to 'secure' the ssh server a bit from hosts in China.  >:(

Anyway... I went to Virtual Server

Name: SSH
Public Port: 2222
Protocal: TCP
Schedule: Always
IP Addy: LAN IP of Server
Private Port: 22
Inbound Filter: HOSTS

So what this did is only the hosts in HOSTS will be allowed to SSH to the server.  And they have to ssh to port 2222 from the outside.  The router will accept on 2222, and forward to 22 on the lan.

If you don't need the HOSTS inbound filter, you can leave as Allow All.  But then you will see LOTS of attempts from China and other places.   
Although you can set up tcp wrappers on ubuntu, but that is for another thread.