• March 28, 2024, 03:10:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Using the DNS-323 with a D-Link DSM-510 w/o media server  (Read 3941 times)

DVDmike

• Level 1 Member
Using the DNS-323 with a D-Link DSM-510 w/o media server
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:11:46 AM »

Being unfamiliar with UPnP, I thought that I would post this because I got ZERO help from e-mail tech support and from my phone call with tech support.

Log in to the DNS-323, go to the advanced tab and the UpNp server tab.  Then, enable it and browse it to your music folder.  Save settings.

Now here is what I did NOT do and it did not work until I did a "refresh".  Once I did this, then I could power up my DSM-510, go to server and select the DNS-323 and it would actually find music.

The media server program is Garbage.  I used it for a while, and it was problematic.  So if you have both a 323 and a 510, you can set it up without running a PC.

Next, I need to figure out why the 510 does not play .wav files.

DVDmike

• Level 1 Member
Re: Using the DNS-323 with a D-Link DSM-510 w/o media server
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:40 AM »

I also need to figure out why the 510 only finds music to play under the "server" tab and not the "music" tab. 

bspvette86

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:51:32 AM »

You will find the built in UPnP server on the DNS-323 to be lacking in features.  In my opinion, the UPnP service provides just enough functionality that they can claim it as a feature.

Support for files > 4GB is a known problem.  Good luck if you are using DVD or HD Video content.  It will have to be broken down into files smaller than 4GB, re-encoded using a higher compression ratio, or served by another UPnP server.  The media catalog file-size has an unsigned 32bit error which causes files > 4GB to be reported as the remainder of int(Filesize/4GB).  Can't get them to tell me if development is even looking at it.  See thread http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=1293.0

Regards,
BV

DVDmike

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »

I didn't buy it to feed video,  I'd be filling it up my 1TB raid-1 with just uncompressed .wav files if the 510 would play them.  Video would have to be on another server...

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »

I also need to figure out why the 510 only finds music to play under the "server" tab and not the "music" tab. 

Mike,

Regarding DSM-510 and DNS-323 working together, please reference the following post for the answer. http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=992.0

Regarding .WAV files, they are not currently on the supported file extension for our UPNP AV server but we are planning to add it in near future.