• March 18, 2024, 08:47:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 is it worth it?  (Read 3166 times)

Digma76

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 is it worth it?
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »

Ever since I bought my DIR-635 (with DWA-140 rangebooster) I have become a fan of D-Link. I confess I had to do a bit of tweaking and was (apparently) lucky to get the right release of the router, but it works like a charm on my 50mbps Ziggo connection (I have separate products).

Recently I received a letter from Ziggo (ISP) that they are going to cancel the old 'separate' subscriptions and that we're getting the so called Alles-in-1-extra for no additional charge for 6 months. After the 6 months the we have to pay an additional 2,65 euro on top of the current invoice, which is a reasonable price, when you consider that you're going from 50 to 120 mbps.

Realising that my old and faithfull DIR-635 won't be able to cope with the 120mbps I'll get after the upgrade I started searching for a good replacement.

Being D-Link biased (I've had bad experiences with a few other brands), I stumbled upon the DIR-655. Since I like a bit of research before I decide to buy something, I started searching online for some information on it, reading reviews at sites and of course this msg board.

The most common problem I've read is the 11,1MB break-off limit this router seems to have. The first thing  that came to mind was 'upgrade cable from Cat-5 to Cat-6', which some people suggested.

Question however is, does that solve the 11,1MB issue and how does the router in perform in general, are they any pitfalls, things I should consider?

My intended setup:
Modem* >>> Cat-6 cable >>> DIR-655 >>> Wireless >>> Win7 64b PC**

* Modem has already been replaced by Ziggo
** Also connect with a Samsung Galaxy S or Lenovo company laptop with XP and the PC has the DWA-140.

Thanks in advance.

SaphuA

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-655 is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:56:10 AM »

If you want a router that isn't supported for ages then you will love this one.