• April 18, 2024, 10:53:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Asymettrical connection  (Read 3844 times)

Darkknight

• Level 1 Member
Asymettrical connection
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:08:10 PM »

Hi,

Have a DWA160 Rev.B, it connects to my DGL-4500 with a transmit speed of 300Mbps & a receive between 108Mbps & 162Mbps according to the Ralink wireless utility. Uplink speeds are noticeably faster for large file transfers than downlink speeds, so I believe this to be accurate. How do I correct this so that the connection is symmetrical or at least so the downlink is the faster of the 2?

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: Asymettrical connection
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »

How do I correct this so that the connection is symmetrical or at least so the downlink is the faster of the 2?

One wireless connection consists of two halves and the speed in each direction is negotiated automatically between sender and receiver depending on signal strength, quality and error rate.

So maybe if your DWA's location receives other networks too with a strong signal it has to slow down the receive speed in order to "understand" all. Perhaps it is placed near another radio device as a telephone or a wireless surveillance system or ...

Try moving the DWA to another location, sometimes a few centimeters are causing large differences.
Try changing the channel in the router's wireless menu.
Also try changing the router's location.

You cannot adjust the speed directly however by changing the settings and changes of the location the speed also changes. There is nothing than the try and error method.

Darkknight

• Level 1 Member
Re: Asymettrical connection
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:19:58 AM »

Well, I tried all of that just to get the 162mbs rather than the 108. Signal Strength is usually about 65-70% on both channels with link quality @ 100%. I have tried moving the adapter in various positions, and found that there is only a slightly marginal difference in strength (read 5%) depending on position, with the best position mounted to a wall about 5ft up.  I have my DGL 4500 set to 5Ghz only, and have only one other 5Ghz network in range, and he isn't online very often. While I was testing this, I was the only network online. Oddly enough, sitting on my water bed, I've got an even better signal strength at 81% on both channels, and still I get 300/121. It seems like it's just not auto negotiating for a higher speed on the downlink.