• April 24, 2024, 12:15:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Losing my DNS  (Read 5388 times)

mcraghead

• Level 1 Member
Losing my DNS
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »

My DIR-855 has been working fine for a couple of years. I have the latest firmware update installed and it's been installed for a long time and working fine. In the last two to three weeks I started losing Internet connection all of a sudden to my PCs and iPhones. After I did some troubleshooting I discovered that I'm still connected to the Internet, but I no longer have access to DNS. Does anyone know why DNS would stop working like that? I hadn't made any changes to my router configuration.

If I reboot my router I get DNS for a while, but it can last anywhat from 5 minutes to 24 hours before I have to reboot the router again. Usually it's in the 15 - 30 minute range. This routine is getting old.  >:(

Thanks.

PS I had to reboot the router in the short time it took me to write this; DNS was dead before I could press send.  :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:59:46 AM by mcraghead »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Losing my DNS
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »

What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.
I would contact your ISP service and ask them to help you bridge the modem. If the modem can't be bridged then I would use the DMZ feature of the modem and input the IP address that the router gets from the Modem on put that in the modems DMZ.

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall if you have this option.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. I recommend CAT6 and the shorter the better if possible. I use a 1 footer. Swap cable between modem and router. Sometimes these in box cables are not made well.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.