• March 29, 2024, 07:30:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-930L and mydlink decimates my home broadband speed  (Read 4293 times)

williams16

• Level 1 Member
DCS-930L and mydlink decimates my home broadband speed
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »

I purchased the DCS-930L on 24th January 2012 to view my sick cat when I am at work.

Up 24th January my broadband was fine at speeds of around 6 meg all day.

After purchasing the camera my speed would be 6 meg or so at breakfast. I would then go off to work and log on to the camera by mydlink. I would come for lunch, still logged in to the camera vai mydlink from work, to find that my home broadband grinding to halt (~ 0.2 meg). I would then go back to work, finally logging off mydlink and returning home. My Broadband when I came back home would be fine.

Suspecting the camera, I came home one afternoon and did a speedtest with my work PC logged to the camera - awful speedtest again. I then called a friend at work and told him to log me off mydlink off my work PC. Immediately, my speeds were up to 6 meg. We did this several times, and it is a certainty that logging into the camera from work via mydlink decimates my broadband speeds. :'(

Logging into the camera via the android app whilst I am home causes no problem (my tablet working on my same home broadband via wifi), nor does logging into it via Mydlink form my home laptop when I am at home, again using the same broadband connection,.

I have attempted to see if connecting the camera via wifi would be better than via ethernet cable, and vice versa, but to no avail.

When I connect to my home laptop from work via say logmein, my broadband speeds at home are fine.

Any ideas why logging into the camera via mydlink from work has such an awful effect on my home broadband speeds?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-930L and mydlink decimates my home broadband speed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:31:14 PM »

Did you test your remote throughput from a PC logged into mydlink from a location other than your work location?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

williams16

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »

No I did not. The logistics of doing this and being able to test my home broadband speed at the same time from another location would be more difficult. But, I will try and find a way if you think it would be a good thing.

What puzzles me is that connecting to my home laptop via logmein from work causes no issues whatsoever.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »

I've also worked at remote locations where Logmein functions just fine, while mydlink hangs. You can blame network security/firewalls.

You can measure the incoming throughput on the client PC to approximate the mydlink stream. I use dumeter (www.dumeter.com).
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

williams16

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »

I can confirm that there is a 95% drop in home broadband download speed when my camera is logged into via mydlink from other locations also.

Thanks for the link to DU Meter  - I will report back on the results.