• May 20, 2024, 08:50:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Adaptor causes files to be erased on USB flash drives?  (Read 3902 times)

Chippies

• Level 1 Member
Adaptor causes files to be erased on USB flash drives?
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced files being erased on a USB flash drive while both your D-Link adapter and flash drive are plugged into USB ports at the same time??

I recently installed a D-Link wireless adapter (I don't use the cradle, I just plug the stick into a port on the front of my CPU).  One day shortly thereafter, I plugged a flash drive into another port to work on some work files at home.

The next day I discovered that all of the files in a particular folder of the flash drive were completely gone.  Thinking I had a damaged flash drive, I bought a new one.  I occasionally back up files, so I was able to replace most of the erased files.

A few days later I did some more work at home and saved my work on the flash drive (again, while the internet adapter was plugged in).  The next day I noticed more files were missing. 

I can't figure out what could be causing my files to be erased.  This has only happened after the installation of the adapter.

Does anyone have the same problem, or what else could be the cause?

???

Chippies

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Adaptor causes files to be erased on USB flash drives?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »

Most standard USB ports on most PC tend to be "paired" into groups of 2.  This is usually known as the USB Root hub.  The ports then get "shared" power.  I do know that a lot of USB adapters graw a lot of power.  You may want to try out a powered USB hub.