• March 28, 2024, 03:36:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Does this thing allow VPN like it says  (Read 10444 times)

deflander

Does this thing allow VPN like it says
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:16:38 AM »

I purchased it a couple of days ago because it was the only one on the shelves at BestBuy that actually stated VPN support.
I have a 2003 server inside my home network that is going to be used for clients to connect via VPN to drop off and pickup files.
I have PPTP, L2PT and IPSec checked off on the firewall page of the 2310.
When I try to connect with a vista client (wireless laptop using the same 2310 that the server is using) it times out. If I wire the vista box to one of the switch ports it connects.
Does setting up virtual servers for ports 1701, 1723 and 500 UDP, port forwarding for the same and enabling the items on the firewall page contradict each other?

Thanks

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Does this thing allow VPN like it says
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »

It sounds like you're trying to use a IPSec VPN tunnel. You'll need to disable PPTP if thats the case. And Vise-Versa if you're running a PPTP.

deflander

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:25:55 PM »

You are correct. I will disable pptp and try again.
Dlink tech support also informed me that I will have to test from another network. Not a laptop hanging off the 2310.

Thanks
I will update tomorrow.

deflander

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:10:31 AM »

So I setup the 2310 with only a virtual server for port 1723 pointing it to my inside server.
I drove down the street and found a non-secured access point and got on the web.
The VPN still won't connect. I went back home and plugged into the switch and was able to VPN the server using the non-addressable IP.
So, I know the server and client software is setup correctly but I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the router.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »

What firmware version are you using?

deflander

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:49:36 AM »

I will have to check when I get home today but I seem to remember a 2007 date on it but can't remember the actual version.

deflander

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 05:05:20 AM »

I am running 1.04.
I am able to get through to my server now but the log on the server states "A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client 74.14.122.254 has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed. The most common cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets (protocol 47). "
I have set all of the options for VPN passthru but something tells me those settings are for outbound.
I don't see any other place where I can allow protocol 47.

deflander

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:21:24 AM »

FIXED!
I borrowed a neighbours wireless, loaded wireshark and noticed where the conflicts were and what ports the laptop was trying to open.
I reset the 2310 to factory defaults and started from scratch. Opened 1723 TCP and 500 UDP (through virtual server), enabled PPTP and IPSEC passthrough and voila.. it worked.
If I could have purchased a Netgear locally the 2310 would have been back on BestBuy's shelves but as things turned out the D-Link worked. The Dlink only cost $40 so I saved $100.00 over purchasing the Netgear.

Thanks

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »

Nice job. Port conflict. I'm suprised it worked with both ALG's however.