• April 28, 2024, 03:19:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Leopard works w/321 but Snow Leopard does not  (Read 3026 times)

tangential

• Level 1 Member
Leopard works w/321 but Snow Leopard does not
« on: November 26, 2010, 08:47:41 AM »

I've got a several macs accessing my 321 and I've set up individual shares for each user.

I can access the shares fine from windows and from leopard, but not from snow leopard (10.6.5).

Any time I try and access a individual share (ie: no guest access) from snow leopard I get an error:

I've found info saying that a firmware update fixes this on the 323, but I am on the latest 321 firmware (1.03) and it doesn't help.

Looking for some ideas on how to fix this.

I've got funplug installed, so I could invoke different smb/nmb executables if necessary.

Thanks,

John

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:36:29 AM by tangential »

kevindt

• Level 1 Member
Re: Leopard works w/321 but Snow Leopard does not
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »

Try experimentally to use Terminal to change permissions on one of the unavailable files in the DNS-321 to 0777

Code: [Select]
chmod 0777 /Volumes/Volume_1/[path][filename]
and see if it is now accessible to all.  It is a frequent problem, and if that fixes it for the one file, let us know and I'll post up a more permanent work-around.

Kevin.

arctic10

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »

Will a  321 work with my mac with snow leopard 10.6.  There is no firmware from dlink for it, just firmware for the 323.  Can i set this up on my mac?  and get time machine to work?  It seems that you need the firmware to set the isp, etc.  Or do i need a 323?

kevindt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

The 321 works beautifully as a NAS, storing and recovering data using  Finder with Samba or FTP with no modifications. 
However, from the reading I've done and playing with the software, it gets pretty intricate setting up the DNS to do Bonjour and AppleTalk to make it do TimeMachine (whereas I use a simple USB external drive on my "hackintosh" without any trouble at all).  I did go through the whole process, setting up avahi to provide Bonjour and netatalk to do AppleTalk, just to see if it worked - it did, but it took a while and it certainly helped to have a Linux background.
You can google for it, but you'll find a good description/blog if you google "noulakaz" - it is essentially the same on the 323 and 321, remembering there is no USB port on the 321.

arctic10

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:18:12 AM »

anotherwords the firmware from dlink is not required to set up the 321.  THe mac will see this connected to the network. correct? THen i need to create a sparcebundle to get time machine to work.