• March 28, 2024, 06:31:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't get it to Recognize Drive  (Read 2871 times)

CPS

• Level 1 Member
Can't get it to Recognize Drive
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »

Hello,

I am new to NAS' and I am having trouble setting up a new DNS-321.

The instructions say to place the drive into the NAS shell, and then to plug it all in before starting up the Easy Search program. I did all this, but when I start up the Easy Search program and hit refresh, I do not see any drive address to configure. When I rebooted my PC, I got a drive address to show up within the Easy Search program, but it does not allow me to click "Configure."

Any suggestions? The manual leaves much to the imagination and I'm frustrated.

I am running the DNS-321 directly into my Windows 7 machine. The Hard Drive is a 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32MB/SATA drive.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: Can't get it to Recognize Drive
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

I assume by your post that you have connected the NAS to your computer with a network cable.
The NAS, by default, is configured to get an IP address from a DHCP server. In a home environment, this would be your router. By connecting the NAS to your computer directly, it isn't able to do this. By default, the IP address of the NAS may be on a different subnet to your computer, causing communication to be impossible.
You have a couple of choices. Connect the NAS to your router and let it obtain a valid IP address for your network, or change your computer IP address to 192.168.0.123 to be on the same subnet as the NAS. then try the Easy Search Utility again. It's not actually required at all, you can configure the NAS via it's web interface by entering it's IP address in to a browser.

It might also help to disable any firewall software during setup.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 03:46:08 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

CPS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:43:48 AM »

How long do I wait for it to accept an IP? I have no idea how to recognize if it has received one or not...

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:25:57 PM »

It shouldn't take any time at all. Once the NAS has booted it will try and get an IP address from your router if DHCP is enabled on it.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!