• April 23, 2024, 09:16:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please list music tracks in correct order  (Read 15495 times)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Please list music tracks in correct order
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »

The ID3 tag information should not be being stripped from the files. It looks to me that the other media server programs are reading the ID3 information and doing the organization to the PS3 OR Xbox. What happens if you put the same albums on a USB drive and connect it to the PS3 or Xbox does it display by ID3 tag information?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »

The ID3 tag information should not be being stripped from the files. It looks to me that the other media server programs are reading the ID3 information and doing the organization to the PS3 OR Xbox. What happens if you put the same albums on a USB drive and connect it to the PS3 or Xbox does it display by ID3 tag information?
I have just tried this and the full id3 info is being shown (along with embedded album art) when I copy the same mp3 files to a usb key and browse on my ps3.
I was able to replicate the issue using XBMC Media Center software to view the upnp shared files on my xp laptop. Again, the only information being shared from the DNS323 to XBMC is track title. There is a free version of XBMC Media Center available so perhaps you could use it to test.

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 04:01:24 AM »

Any update on this? If you are saying that all id3 data should be sent, then it looks like a bug somewhere.

honestbleeps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »

I'd love to hear an update on this as well.. it's a really annoying issue that sort of makes the DNS-323 worthless to me... I bought it to store my media, mostly.... I mean, I can still obviously use it to back up files etc... but the reason I chose the DNS-323 was the UPNP server included, etc... and having tracks play in alphabetical order is ... well, not desirable ;-)

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »

Even just a nod to say that this is being investigated would be nice. I would love to see this fixed before the next firmware is released.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »

I investigated this a little further and it turns out files shared on the UPnP AV media server are shared by files name so the ID3 tag information is not relevant while viewing your files.

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 11:12:56 AM »

That isn't quite true. It actually orders tracks by their ID3 track name. I take it there are no plans to change this then?  :(

The other downside to this is that us PS3 users are limited to browsing by folders for music and not seeing full UPnP functionality.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:32:50 AM by mcsteve »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »

That isn't quite true. It actually orders tracks by their ID3 track name. I take it there are no plans to change this then?  :(

The other downside to this is that us PS3 users are limited to browsing by folders for music and not seeing full UPnP functionality.

That is true I just confirmed this and requested that it look at the track number in the ID3 tag info instead for audio type files if possible in the next firmware release or 1.09. 

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »

I had a look at the UPnP/AV standards and sure enough, implementation is at the discretion of the implementer.

IMHO, the lack of implementation should on the player side as opposed to the server side.  It would most certainly be appreciated if D-Link could allocate resource dollars to implement a comprehensive set of UPnP features if at all possible. 

Cheers,

mcsteve

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »

That is true I just confirmed this and requested that it look at the track number in the ID3 tag info instead for audio type files if possible in the next firmware release or 1.09. 
That is great news, thanks!  ;D
Ideally all id3 tags will be shared, but as a bare minimum track name and number would be a great improvement.
Pages: 1 [2]