• April 23, 2024, 12:47:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannot locate DNS-323 on network using East Search Utility  (Read 13630 times)

raider4123

• Level 1 Member
Cannot locate DNS-323 on network using East Search Utility
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »

After upgrading my firmware from 1.04 to 1.06, I have been unable to locate the nas on the network using the easy search utility.  Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Cannot locate DNS-323 on network using East Search Utility
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »

What are the front panel LEDs doing?  Are they on/off/flashing?
Was it configured for a static or dynamic ip address?
If dynamic, restart it and then go to the DHCP server and check to see what address it was given, and then put that in the browser.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

raider4123

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »

The LEDs are on but not flashing.  Before upgrading the fw, I configured it for static ip.  The ip is still the same, as I can log into it from the web browser.

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »

You don't need the Easy Search Utility to get the 323 working.  Some people have reported the same issue, but if you have the manuals and have read them, you should be able to get everything up and working (and probably come out with a better understanding of the 323).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:31:48 PM by ttmcmurry »

raider4123

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:32:26 PM »

True, but I do need it to get the BitTorrent client installed right?

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:42:41 AM »

That seems odd that easysearch can't see it

Try another computer, maybe its a firewal

So the webbrowser can see it right so it is 100% connected to your network for sure

Easysearch has a refresh button which Im sure you used
Make sure firewall is off or try another computer and make sure its the latest easysearch program and latest driver 1.06
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=509
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=509

by default easysearch should work regardless of hookup
DNS-323  2x1.5TB Seagate Drives Separate Volumes
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
Various computers and hardware, Win xp, Win 7,
1.07 firmware

unconnected

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »

Hello all, I have the exact same problem.  I have a Vista laptop and XP Desktop, I have disabled both the Windows firewall and ESET firewall.  I have tried connecting both wirelessly and via Ethernet cable.

No matter what I try the ESU cannot locate the DNS-323.  This being despite having a nailed up connection with it (ie I mapped the DNS within Windows Explorer and can access it on both machines wirelessly and wired).

I only want to add the BitTorrent client.

1. Does anyone know of an alternate method of loading the BT client onto DNS (beside using ESU)?

2. Does anyone have a suggestion for enabling my ESU to find the DNS on my setup?

PS have firmware V1.06 and ESU 4.4.0.0 (both machines are 32 bit, I have followed the instructions listed for Vista connectivity (secpol settings) nothing works - getting very frustrated)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

unconnected

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »

Further to my above post...

I have managed to get the dns-323 to show up (partially at least) through the ESU.  This was by direct wired (ethernet) connection to my laptop.  When the DNS shows in the ESU window and I click on it the options buttons on the right ('configuration', 'language') grey out and I cannot choose them.  I have access to the 'bit torrent' button but once pressed, it pauses for a while.  I am unable to access the hard drives or configuration menu while connected in this manner.  When I reconnect with DNS connected through my router (netcomm nb9w) and try to select bit torrent, a dialogue box appears saying that client is not installed and it can be located on ESU.

One of the main reasons I purchased the DNS was for BitTorrent.  The device works perfectly EXCEPT for the main reason I purchased it - BitTorrent.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »

Further to my above post...

I have managed to get the dns-323 to show up (partially at least) through the ESU.  This was by direct wired (ethernet) connection to my laptop.  When the DNS shows in the ESU window and I click on it the options buttons on the right ('configuration', 'language') grey out and I cannot choose them.  I have access to the 'bit torrent' button but once pressed, it pauses for a while.  I am unable to access the hard drives or configuration menu while connected in this manner.  When I reconnect with DNS connected through my router (netcomm nb9w) and try to select bit torrent, a dialogue box appears saying that client is not installed and it can be located on ESU.

One of the main reasons I purchased the DNS was for BitTorrent.  The device works perfectly EXCEPT for the main reason I purchased it - BitTorrent.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

If you're going to use a direct connect configuration, you need to set static ip addresses.

unconnected

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:01:24 PM »

Thanks fordem.  It was remiss of me to say in my above two posts.  I have tried both static and dynamic IP settings in both setups (ie wired/wireless) and on both PCs.  Still no luck.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »

Thanks fordem.  It was remiss of me to say in my above two posts.  I have tried both static and dynamic IP settings in both setups (ie wired/wireless) and on both PCs.  Still no luck.

Just checking - you say you tried both static and dynamic IP settings on both PCs, but you don't mention the DNS-323.

The scenario you mention - using a direct ethernet connection, and being able to see the DNS-323 in Easy Search but with the configuration buttons greyed out is caused by Easy Search being able to locate the unit through the use of ethernet or network hardware broadcasts, but being unable to communicate with it via tcp/ip - which will also cause you to be unable to access the hard drive or configuration web page.

What that says to me is that a physical network connection exists - that the ethernet broadcast can use to locate the DNS-323 - but that something is preventing tcp/ip communication from occurring, and, with a direct connection (ie, no DHCP server) the most common cause is a lack of appropriate ip addresses - either no address set or an address in a different subnet.

tm255e

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 01:32:15 AM »

Hi,
Are yolu using the latest version of the easy share utility, i had to downlod this for it to see the DNS-323.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:52:15 AM by tm255e »

unconnected

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 02:11:54 AM »

Thanks Steve and Fordem.

When I stated I had tried both static and dynamic IP on both PCs I actually meant I tried the DNS set to static IP and tried connecting wirelessly and then with ethernet to each PC.  I also tried this with the dynamic setting.

Yes I am using the latest version (4.4.0.0) ESU.

I have just received an email from D-Link who suggest I try v4.2.0.0 so am off to give that a go.

Fordem, at the bottom of your last post you mention 'either no address set or an address in a different subnet'.

I have set the DNS IP using the web configuration (192.168.1.200) - I don't understand what I need to do with the subnet issue (or what to check).  Any help appreciated.

Ta

unconnected

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 02:56:12 AM »

Further to my above post:

1) I tried installing and running ESU 4.2.0.0 (earlier v suggested by D-Link) - no luck

2) I tried changing the subnet mask in the DNS from what it was defaulted at (255.255.255.0) and lost all contact (ie could not access via web interface) and had to reset device.

Any other thoughts or any known way of installing BT client without ESU?  (I am asking D-Link same question but they haven't got back to me on that.

Ta

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 05:15:42 AM »

Fordem, at the bottom of your last post you mention 'either no address set or an address in a different subnet'.

I have set the DNS IP using the web configuration (192.168.1.200) - I don't understand what I need to do with the subnet issue (or what to check).  Any help appreciated.

Ta

An ip address has two separate parts, a network portion & a host portion, and it is the subnet mask that determines where the one stops and the other starts.  With a typical consumer network, the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 (and please don't change it unless you know why you're changing it) so that the ip address which will probably look like 192.168.x.y where x & y are numbers between 1~254 will split in to a network portion of 192.168.x and a host portion of y.

If you set static addresses on the DNS-323 and the PC and the network portion (the 192.168.x) do not match, then the devices will be on different "subnets" and will be unable to communicate with one another.

If you do not have a static address set on the DNS-323 it will default to 192.168.0.32 and you will need to set a static address in the 192.168.0.x network range to communicate with it - if you do not have a static address set on the PC, it will, in most cases, use a process known as APIPA to get a randomly selected address in the 169.254.x.y network range.
Pages: [1] 2