• March 28, 2024, 02:28:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Video almost all white, washed out  (Read 12275 times)

mert

• Level 1 Member
Video almost all white, washed out
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:11:58 AM »

I'm not sure how often this has been happening since this cam [very unfortunately] doesn't support an always-record option, but today I just happened to take a live look at the video stream (1080p) and notice I could barely make out anything.  It was very bright white and nearly completely washed out.  This was around noon on the US east coast.  The cam points out of a window.  As a complete guess, I tried changing the cam setting from 50Hz to 60Hz.  When I went back to the live stream, the picture looked great.  I put it back to 50Hz and it still looked fine.  I decided to leave it at 60Hz to see if I ever notice the washed out problem in the future (it had been at 50Hz since originally set up).

Related to this issue, I read this similar forum thread:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65015.msg282840#msg282840
which seemed to correct the problem by turning "Off" the anti-flicker setting.  The 8300LH does not have an off setting, just 50Hz or 60Hz.  Does it need an "Off" setting to deal with this white wash issue?

mert

• Level 1 Member
Re: Video almost all white, washed out
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »

Leaving it set to 60Hz did not prevent the white-out.  I checked the cam about the same time and it was extremely washed out, and, it's an overcast day.  Changing to 50Hz fixed the problem (changing it back to 60 had no effect on the live stream).  So when the white-out occurs, a workaround is to simply change the value of the Anti-Flicker setting - doesn't matter what value, just changing it restores the video.

I would like to see if a firmware change to turn off the Anti-Flicker solves the problem like it did for the other camera (see link above).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:25:35 PM by mert »

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »

Is the video OK if not pointing out a window? Maybe try in a normally lit room and see if the picture is washed out. Could be an issue with that actual camera.

Also is there any glare on the glass or higher-than-normal brightness/reflections on something outside?

mert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:33:27 PM »

The video is generally great.  When the problem is occurring, simply changing the value of the Anti-Flicker (doesn't matter which value, just the opposite of whatever it is) returns the video to normal. 

mert

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:16:46 AM »

Example of my problem...
Most mornings I see this:

And if I simply toggle or change the Anti-flicker setting, the video immediately returns to normal:

This does not happen everyday, but most days.  And, it doesn't seem to matter if it's sunny of overcast.
Maybe need some way (firmware change) to completely disable the Anti-flicker feature.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:30:00 PM by mert »

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 07:25:13 AM »

I will check with the techs again and see if this camera has had issues/customer complaints about the whitewash. I think your camera may be defective since I have a few cameras from this line pointing out my window similar to you and I do not see this.

Have you tried the camera in a different location to see if the issue continues?

I am not sure if they will include an OFF option since it normally runs at 50MHz by default.

niven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 07:02:23 AM »

I'm having this exact problem, maybe 20-30% of the time one or both of my cameras (both 8300LH) do the same thing - a bright white overexposed unusable image.

It looks like as the sun comes up the camera doesn't adjust white balance/exposure so as it gets brighter the image is completely blown out. The only way to fix it I've found is to:
1) Restart the camera
2) Cover the lens with my hand then remove it
3) Change anti flicker mode from whatever it was to the other option (50=>60 or 60=>50)

None of these are really valid workarounds  though since the entire use case of these two cameras is recording motion, which they won't do if they're just showing a white blob. Multiple times now I've checked the camera for an event that should have triggered a recording and found nothing, then I check the live feed it's just like in the images above.

I think your camera may be defective since I have a few cameras from this line pointing out my window similar to you and I do not see this.
This seems unlikely since it's happening on both of my 8300LH's - often both at the same time
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:04:17 AM by niven »

niven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 05:27:53 AM »

Here's an example from this morning

https://i.imgur.com/BxzX5Er.jpg

niven

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »

I will check with the techs again and see if this camera has had issues/customer complaints about the whitewash. I think your camera may be defective since I have a few cameras from this line pointing out my window similar to you and I do not see this.

Have you tried the camera in a different location to see if the issue continues?

I am not sure if they will include an OFF option since it normally runs at 50MHz by default.

Did you hear anything back after? Now that summer's here both cameras have become unusable - they just record a blown out white image unless I go in and toggle the anti flicker settings for each one every morning.

mincanada

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »

I'm having the exact same issue.  Wondering as well of there has been any update on this instead of having to intervene each time

RonK Michigan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 06:06:36 AM »

I have a camera pointing out of a bathroom window so I can see my back yard. I every so often see the same problem where the video is so washed out yu can't see ANYTHING.
My Camera is currently up to date with Firmware v1.07.00 so D-Link has not fixed this particular bug yet.
I have to use the same Anti-Flicker workaround........

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 06:35:33 AM »

Please make contact with your regional D-Link support office and let them know what your experiencing.
Link> Tech Support Contact Information
We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.