• March 28, 2024, 10:18:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: help!  (Read 7488 times)

wannaplay

• Level 2 Member
help!
« on: July 20, 2008, 07:29:28 AM »

Hi

I'm thinking of getting this router or possibly another d-link router. One that will support heavy traffic such as hdtv streaming among other things, all at the same time, mostly through LAN. I was looking at good routers that would be capable of handling this and think the dir-655 is a very good choice. My current internet connection is adsl. I've read that it supports dsl and cable only and then i read elewhere it also supported adsl, so i'm left confused. Does it support adsl? If not what d-link router would you recommend for my situation?

SSTWebworks

Re: help!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »

Yes it does, almost every home dsl connection is ADSL. I'm running a DIR-655 on ATT's ADSL network, and it runs like a champ.

wannaplay

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »

Great news, made my day! 

Looks like there is no Modem integrated, which would you guys recommend for my ADSL connection?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »

I usually recommend using the ISP units.

wannaplay

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »

I do have a BT (UK) voyager 105 usb adsl modem which i use to use back in the day which connected directly to the computer and needed some drivers to be installed. The DIR-655 has a usb port. Would this do ok?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:36:52 AM »

No, the 655 will require a ethernet enabled bridgeable modem.

Optix1180

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »

As Lycan stated, all Dlink Routers use only Ethernet based ports for Internet connectivity. and the USB port on the back of the DIR-655 is used only for the WCN ( Windows Connect Now) tecchnology.

more on the WCN:   http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/windowsconnectnow.mspx

;)