• March 28, 2024, 01:11:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What device to use to wirelessly extend DIR-825 wireless network?  (Read 12754 times)

cearly08

• Level 1 Member

I am researching this topic because I am helping to set up the wireless network at a friend's house, which is a large solid-brick house that winds from one end to the other.  The current location of where the cable comes into the house is unfortunately on the far-left end of the house, which means that the right end of the house receives no signal from their DIR-825 wireless N router.

What I've been looking into is the best way to wirelessly extend the wireless signal to the other end of the house.  It seems straightforward enough to use an ethernet cable and access point to extend a wireless network, but that is not really a good option for this house.  After reading many forum posts (and not being an expert myself) it seems like it may be possible to wirelessly extend the wireless network with another router, although it appeared that this is much less common (if at all possible) with wireless N routers.

Can anyone point me to what device I need to accomplish what I've described above?  Another router, or some kind of access point/bridge?  I saw at least one rather expensive wireless N repeater online (a Hawking brand, I believe) but was hoping to avoid that option initially, but if that is the only way to go then so be it :-) 

Thanks in advance!

grandforker

• Level 2 Member
Re: What device to use to wirelessly extend DIR-825 wireless network?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »

I've had good luck with the Hawking HWREN1 Wireless 300-N Range Extender.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=105&ProdID=394

My broadband cable comes in through the northwest corner of the basement, which is where my DIR-825 router is located. I needed to get Wireless N service to the southeast corner of a room on the second floor of our house. That meant the signal had to go through two floors, several walls, a brick chimney and our kitchen appliances. It worked, but it was not a fast or reliable connection.

I mounted the HWREN1 on a wall in the basement in a direct line east of the router. That way, it gets a very strong signal from the DIR-825. It avoids having to send and receive signals through the kitchen and the chimney. One of my kids does a lot of online gaming with the PC served by the range extender and has no complaints about it. Typically, it shows four bars and connects at speeds between 270 and 300 Mbps.

I could not get the automatic install with the CD to work. I ended up doing it manually and I am not a wireless expert by any stretch of the imagination. Once I got it configured and working, I plugged it in and left it alone. I haven't touched it for several months. It was a good investment.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:23:35 AM by grandforker »

cearly08

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »

Aha, ok that was the repeater I saw I believe; I'm glad to hear the success story and how you have it aligned, that is helpful.  It would seem then that that is the way to go in this case, unless anyone else posts any different ideas later.  Thanks for your response!

grandforker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:35 AM »

Most of the reviews for the HWREN1 on Amazon.com are positive, but some have had problems with it. I suspect that some think they can put this device far away from their router and expect to have it send a fast, reliable signal to a far-away computer. It needs to have good communications with the router to work properly. I use it primarily to avoid the problem areas of my house that tend to degrade the wireless signal. I don't need it to extend the signal. I need it to provide a better signal, and it does that.

The two things that caused me problems in setting it up were:

1. Although you can give the HWREN1 a different SSID (which is a good idea so that you can tell it apart from the router), you have to use the same log-on password or pass phrase that the router uses. The instructions did not mention this. Until I assigned it the same password as my DIR-825, it wouldn't work.

2. Initially, I could not get the HWREN1 to work with MAC address filtering enabled on the DIR-825. I was certain that I had the correct MAC address entered for the Hawking device, but the only way it would work was to turn off the router's MAC address filtering. I happened to read a review on Amazon.com which said that you need to add 1 to the HWREN1's MAC address. That didn't make much sense, but I tried it. Problem solved!

lilleyen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

snipped
2. Initially, I could not get the HWREN1 to work with MAC address filtering enabled on the DIR-825. I was certain that I had the correct MAC address entered for the Hawking device, but the only way it would work was to turn off the router's MAC address filtering. I happened to read a review on Amazon.com which said that you need to add 1 to the HWREN1's MAC address. That didn't make much sense, but I tried it. Problem solved!

What did you mean you mean by adding "1"?
Just tack it on the end, or :"1", or ":01"
Please give me more details, I have the same problem.
Thanks

grandforker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »

What did you mean you mean by adding "1"?
Just tack it on the end, or :"1", or ":01"
Please give me more details, I have the same problem.
Thanks

If, for example, the last number of the MAC address is 01, change it to 02. If it's 03, change it to 04.

lilleyen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:47:07 AM »

Thanks for the help grandforker.

Actually it's 7C, do I just make it 7D then?

As an aside, though maybe connected, is the fact that I use Network Magic to monitor my network.

It shows my Hawking twice, once with the Mac address ending in 7C and once with it ending as 7D.
What is!!! ???
Same Mac address both times, but with two slightly different sequential endings.
The 7D one is always shown as offline.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:37:43 PM by lilleyen »

grandforker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:12:19 AM »

I would maybe try 8C just to see what happens.

Can you connect with the HWREN1 if you turn off MAC address filtering on the DIR-825?

newidad

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »

Greetings:

Working hard to ensure that my DIR 825 signal is stronger in a Manhattan apartment and more specifically gives me useful output from a new Roku unit.  As below (have cut/pasted from another thread) now only using 2.4MhZ and have moved my router a little.  Purchased this Hawking extender and will be following all the advice as in this thread.

Any other advice re a 1960s apartment where the Roku is ~ 60 feet from the DLink 825 router?   Putting the extender in the hallway mid-way between them but this will provide no "line of sight to either router or Roku.  Should I instead calculate direct line of sight and put it halfway between -- like in my boys bedroom.  Overall line of sight crosses 3 walls.

Any input and assistance that will save me time would be greatly appreciated
Michael

=============================================================================
  Author Topic: DIR 825 with HAWKING HWREN1 Range Extender?  (Read 58 times) 

DIR 825 with HAWKING HWREN1 Range Extender?
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:43:10 AM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings -- still trying to improve my signal to a Roku unit in a New York aparment (about 60 feet away BUT throught several walls)  Cannot see the 5MhZ and the 2.4 is weak. Had been recommended the D Link DAP 1360 but it seesm older and gets lower rating on Amazon. An extender that gets higher ratings is the HAWKING HWREN1 (PS also seems older -- 2004...)

Anyone have experience and comments re compatibility with DLink DIR 825?

All input gratefully received as it will save me valuable time
Thanks  michael 

Report to moderator    205.188.117.11 

HankRiker
Level 2 Member

Re: DIR 825 with HAWKING HWREN1 Range Extender?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:38:51 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: newidad on January 08, 2011, 11:43:10 AM
Greetings -- still trying to improve my signal to a Roku unit in a New York aparment (about 60 feet away BUT throught several walls)  Cannot see the 5MhZ and the 2.4 is weak. Had been recommended the D Link DAP 1360 but it seesm older and gets lower rating on Amazon. An extender that gets higher ratings is the HAWKING HWREN1 (PS also seems older -- 2004...)

Anyone have experience and comments re compatibility with DLink DIR 825?

All input gratefully received as it will save me valuable time
Thanks  michael

Hi Michael,

I don't have specific knowledge of either of those two products, but I do have some general suggestions:

Focus on the 2.4GHz signal, I'd suggest just turning off the 5GHz signal unless you are able to use it (and need to use it) closer to the device. It's more for outside use (over flat land without many obstructions it can offer longer range than 2.4GHz). In an urban forest, it doesn't fair as well.

f you are at all able, I would say, run a wire. If that's impractical or impossible then a unidirectional antenna pointing at your device has the best chance of getting you signal.

If the router can see your Roku, a unidirectional antenna may be all you need...

If you need fast two-way communication, you might need to invest in a wireless access point/range extender with a similar unidirectional antenna pointing back at the router. It doesn't look like the Roku devices have discreet antennas, or I'd say you could just attach a cantenna-like device to it. I'd worry less about the age of the device and more about the claimed frequency and signal strength.

Finally, depending on how your building is wired, you might also find some of the ethernet over power-line solutions might work out for you. I haven't had to use it myself, so I'd suggest doing some research before jumping in...

Hope this helps,
Hank

Report to moderator    Logged 

newidad
Level 1 Member

Re: DIR 825 with HAWKING HWREN1 Range Extender? 

Many thanks for the advice, Hank

So far , working with my son we have:

1. Switched off the 5.4MHz band which seems to make a difference - can anyone confirm that using only one band on a dual band router provides a better signal for the remaining one?
2. In doing research looks like the DLink DIR 655 is much better rated than the DIR 825 I have.....ouch
3. Updated the firmware on the DIR 825 from 1.01 to 1.13
4. Have moved the router to the left of the monitor and away from the large Sony Vaio PC which seems to provide a better signal
5. So DLink 2.4Mh band shows up on Roku now with 3 bars signal strength (out of 5) some of the time which is good enough for HD streaming
6. As it is impractical to "run a wire" have purchased the  HAWKING HWREN1 Range Extender, so that is my next weekend's "adventure"
Again, any input or ideas much appreciated    Michael 

kempo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »

I am trying to get the HWREN1 to connect with the 825.  I'm getting no where.

I tried the CD.  Spoke to Hawking customer service.  Tried the manual myself (same as what cust serv tried to do). The unit will not connect to the router no mater what.  I'm sure that I'm missing something basic, but I sure don't know what.

Hawking cust serv also said to change the channel to "static" 11.  I changed the channel on the 825 to 11 on the 2.4Ghz band and still no luck.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

newidad

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »

Greetings Kempo -- do not yet have mine.  When I get it and have experience will add comments
Good luck, know how frustrating these things can be   Michael

kempo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:27 AM »

Got it working...somehow. 

I changed the ip addy of the hawking from 192.168.0.240 (address suggested by hawking Cust Supp) to one within the DHCP address range of the router. Lo and behold it worked!  I thought the ip address of repeater were supposed to be out of the range.

Good luck w/ yours newidad